Bad batch fruit wine, to pickling vinegar, have I started correctly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello forum,

I had been thinking about posting about my 2 years of 'dirty' fruit wine making as advise to beginers.
However, some advise from actual brewers would be handy now so lets see how it goes and if anyone is interested, I can tell how I have been doing everything wrong and getting goodish results, later.

Please bare in mind, I have little access to fancy Dan equipment and chemicals, imagine yourself in the middle ages and no amazon deliveries

Today I found an off smelling 4 litre jug as I was filtering and re-sugaring a new batch. (Five 4 liter jugs tipped from the 22L tank about 2 weeks before)

The sealing around the plastic tubing in the lid was loose, air entered. (tube goes into bottle of water)

I have 7 per cent non toxic cleaning vinegar ....... in which I pickle onions

I added 500mls of said vinegar to the 4 liters of still fermenting (sugar, originally chopped whole fruits, water and my evolved yeast mix from fridge) into a 5 liter jug and closed it with an elastic band and new face mask.

The aim, fruity pickling vinegar

The question......

Will the ongoing spoilt fermentation have aceitic acid and should I seal it differently?

Cheers

Well, no one knows about or is interested in fruity pickling vinegar?
Or no one wants to confess to bad batches?

It dont matter, I will update anyway, for future browsers.

I did not read up cus its just 4 liters and already committed,
Sprinkled some bread yeast on top with the hope of creating a vinegar mother if it wasnt already present. (all my other yeast is presently occupied in sealed bottles)

If all goes well, will post a photo of a pickled onion in a few months

Latest posts

Back