Serve beer from fermenter, its possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roythebull

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have an 80 liter fermenter, can I serve my beer directly from it without all the foam coming out?

So your beer is in a pressurized vessel? If so, then I'd think the same thing applies that people do to serve their beer when they keg.

Otherwise what foam are you talking about? The krausen foam? Or the foam that forms when you open the spigot all the way and splash a big volume of beer in the bottom of the glass?

I don't keg, so serving from the FV doesn't appeal to me either.

^ Like @hotbeer asked... as long as it is a sealed and pressure-capable fermenter and you have the appropriate fittings attached, and if you don't want a ton of foam; A refrigerator or some chilled chamber to keep it in. I just dug out the box from my Fermzilla because I couldn't find a picture of it online...My girlfreind got quite a kick out it and still quotes it when I serve her any samples I take:
IMG_1590.jpg

:mug:

Just to give you another clue since you haven't come back yet.

For getting beer from a keg to the glass it's the tubing ID and length that make some of the difference between foam or a good pour.

If you are dropping the beer into a glass directly from a spigot, that might be your foam. Try fitting a bottling attachment to the FV and use a racking cane and tube. If it's still too foamy, then look for some tubing with a smaller ID.

Admittedly, I'm just wildly guessing. But I'm am interested to know what will work.

Wow 80 liters. Thought I was the thirsty one.

Still don't know exactly what you mean by "...can I serve my beer directly from it without all the foam coming out?"

The remaining questions from @hotbeer need to be answered.
So your beer is in a pressurized vessel? If so, then I'd think the same thing applies that people do to serve their beer when they keg.

Otherwise what foam are you talking about? The krausen foam? Or the foam that forms when you open the spigot all the way and splash a big volume of beer in the bottom of the glass?

I don't keg, so serving from the FV doesn't appeal to me either.

Isn't there a sampling port?

Remember, many of us here are just home brewer's. If you are using larger equipment that might be made for small but commercial micro brewer's, then you are using stuff that only a few of us will be familiar with.

So knowing exactly what brand and model FV might keep us from just guessing or even commenting.

Once the fermentation is finished, after the coldcrash, I have the beer at 8ºC at 1Bar, that is, 2.5 vol of CO2. If I open the tap of the fermenter in the sampling part, the crevency comes out very strong and fast, as it shakes with the glass. what would be the solution?

A pigtail sampling coil will reduce the force it comes out at. That said, it’s probably not the best method for serving many pints. Maybe a long length of evabarrier tubing attached to your sample port would be better.

Once the fermentation is finished, after the coldcrash, I have the beer at 8ºC at 1Bar, that is, 2.5 vol of CO2. If I open the tap of the fermenter in the sampling part, the crevency comes out very strong and fast, as it shakes with the glass. what would be the solution?
You need tubing and a tap or a coiled sample port to reduce the pressure coming out into your glass.

That's what I was thinking. set up a brewery tap. Now I have it clear. thank you very much to all

Latest posts

Back