Seems our University here has a brewing curriculum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskanmoosehunter

Reaction score
So it seems the Univerisy of Fairbanks Alaska has a beer course. I was at the local home brew shop today and ran into the gentlemen (professor) that gives the courses. Hell of a guy. I got the 20 min. run down of what he teaches at the Univ. during the summester with out the tutition. Sweet.

I was a student there previously, never saw that course. To bad.

My wife is attending the U this semester, I told her she need to go to the course....She laughed at me and said "no".:confused:

Did it have Organic Chem 1&2 pre-reqs? The one at Colorado State does or I would have taken it by now... I still intend to at some point...

That's great, I wonder how many universities offer brewing courses?

Well, the only real program in the US is UC Davis. You can get a masters in brewing and distilling there. It is cool that more colleges are offering a course on it. Colorado State teams up with Odell brewing, and the class does a brew on their 7 barrel system to finish off the class. I think they do it because they have a large food science program at CSU, and they have a lot of grad students researching hops there...

My alma mater, Johnson & Wales University (pretty well known culinary program) has a club called J-Brew (a play off of what everyone calls the school - JWU..pronounced JWoo). They recently built a new facility that houses some commercial grade equipment but I don't think they offer classes. As far as I know it's just an extracurricular thing for people interested in the art but that could have changed!

Sure enough.
Culinary Arts
CAH F178: Inter Brewing & Fermentation
Instructor: Trev Mostella
Credits: 1
Emphasis in brewing will focus on the use of adjuncts and their specific purposes. The effects they have on the brewing/fermentation process will be paramount. Focus will be on the more advanced style of brewing called partial mash. We may, time and weather permitting, brew a batch from grain. All brews done in this class will make use of adjuncts and/or grains.
Prerequisites Prerequisites: CAH F177; student must be 21 years of age to enroll.
Seats Remaining 12

My alma mater, Johnson & Wales University (pretty well known culinary program) has a club called J-Brew (a play off of what everyone calls the school - JWU..pronounced JWoo). They recently built a new facility that houses some commercial grade equipment but I don't think they offer classes. As far as I know it's just an extracurricular thing for people interested in the art but that could have changed!

Huh, might be worth a trip up from URI to check it out....

Back