Very ticked - Brew #2 a Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12-Brewer

Reaction score
So -

I've been an all grain brewer for some time (Speidel).

My Platoon Sergeant that I deployed with when I was a PL recently retired down at Ft. Hood. For Christmas, I bought him the top of the line Northern Brewer beginner kit they have...

It sounds like his first brew went off without a hitch. It needs maybe another week or two in bottles, but it should turn out. On the phone recently, I teased him that he should get something else in his "pipeline" since the primary was empty.

So he ran out this weekend to some local homebrew shop and said, "Hey, this is my second brew, but I'd like to try a Pils." The guy sold him something called the True Brew Czech Pils kit. He brewed it up and set it in the garage - in Texas. He called me up and seemed to be a little worried about it... When I found out that some idiot sold him a lager kit as his second brew - in Texas - I went through the friggen roof. So, yea - I'm venting.... Unfortunately, there seem to be a few homebrew shops in the area - lucky for this particular idiot, I was going to dial him up.

Anyway, and more importantly, it looks like this kit has Fermentis Saflager W-34/70 Dry Lager Yeast. Which I've never used.... and sounds like the last 3 days of primary fermentation has been as high as 76, but hasn't been much above 68 over time. Something else I've not experienced.

My old PSG sensed my anger and is tempted to dump it. I, of course, told him not to, but had no idea what to tell him to do or expect. I figured the best he could do is to put it in a tub, with a wet towel and fan and ice bottles.... but figured it might be too late for that anyway.

Thoughts?

Signed,
- A very angry combat engineer

Last edited:
First thought is its nice of you to help someone out. Second is you should give your friend a copy of the book "How to Brew" by John Palmer or tell him that he can read it for free on line. The third thing is to inform your buddy there are lots of videos on you tube that explain everything about all styles of brewing. Finally, I'd let the Pilsner finish fermenting and pull a sample and see what it tastes like. Who know's it may not be that bad, but its probably a drain pour. Tell him to stick with ales and find a cool place (in the 60's) for fermenting.

First thought is its nice of you to help someone out. Second is you should give your friend a copy of the book "How to Brew" by John Palmer or tell him that he can read it for free on line. The third thing is to inform your buddy there are lots of videos on you tube that explain everything about all styles of brewing. Finally, I'd let the Pilsner finish fermenting and pull a sample and see what it tastes like. Who know's it may not be that bad, but its probably a drain pour. Tell him to stick with ales and find a cool place (in the 60's) for fermenting.

Fourth, tell your friend to join HBT and read up on every aspect of brewing he sees fit and ask questions.

Also have your Sergeant find a better home brew shop. They should have asked a lot of questions after he said it would be a second brew and that he liked a Pils. Seems they just took the easy way out and just handed him the kit.....

Fifth, he could just relax, don't worry and see what comes out the other side. Regardless of the lack of temperature control, if good sanitation was strictly maintained, he will have beer that he brewed himself. Even if it doesn't taste like a Czech Pils, it will be drinkable and possibly very tasty with some interesting esters.

Back