Sediment With Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sky7

Reaction score
Good Morning All,

I find myself in a conundrum.

I did the whole filtering thing when I transferred the wort into the fermentor, and I got a significant amount of the sediment/hops out. After letting the fermenting beer hang out for about two weeks, I syphoned the beer into my keg and started force carbonating.

I occurs to me that in the past, the lingering sediment would settle to the bottom of the bottle, so I never felt compelled to have a secondary. But now the bottom of the keg is where the beer line comes from, so I'll constantly be drawing from the nasty stuff.

Am I doomed to nasty beer?

Nope, shouldn't be. Depending on how long you ferment / condition, you might draw one or two cloudy pints on the initial first pulls. After that, the area around the pickup tube will clear / settle and you should be fine. If not, you can always cut a bit off the end of your pickup tube. Best of luck.

+1. I use the set it and forget it method, so after 1-2 weeks of sitting still on gas, everything has dropped out and I pull one pint and dump it cause it's all gross slurry beer. The next couple maybe a little cloudy but nothing worth dumping.

Back