Actual slug in my fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoutish

Reaction score
I know slugs cant live in beer, but can they survive in the sediment at the bottom of the fermenter?

Found a slug in my sink after cleaning my fermenter out with some other things and when I returned a few minutes later there was a slug at the bottom of the sink. So I'm not TOTALLY sure if came from the demijohn, but can't see where else it could have come from. The demi-john did have an airlock full of water, but no cap on that.

Its creeped me out!

slug.jpg

I know slugs cant live in beer, but can they survive in the sediment at the bottom of the fermenter?

Found a slug in my sink after cleaning my fermenter out with some other things and when I returned a few minutes later there was a slug at the bottom of the sink. So I'm not TOTALLY sure if came from the demijohn, but can't see where else it could have come from. The demi-john did have an airlock full of water, but no cap on that.

Its creeped me out!
First off: Welcome to HBT! Certainly one of the more interesting first posts I've seen in a while, which raises a few questions, the most burning of which I'll save for last;
What kind of beer is it? Is it safe to assume you were cleaning the fermenter out after concluding a bottling or kegging operation? Is the drain in question accustomed to recieving such a volume of liquid, perhaps enough to make more distant contents float to the top? How long will it be before you can try the beer and report back?
And now the burning question: If you have a good sense of humour and come to spend more time on here, this is something of an inside joke which, if you don't understand at all, please take no offense: Would you ever descibe yourself with the words:
"I smell wierd" or perhaps without the spaces between each word?
Hope your brew is fine (and it probably is)!
:mug:

As many gardeners know, a dish of beer makes an effective slug trap. Slugs love the smell of beer, and will crawl in and drown in even a shallow container.

Was fermentor and sediment left outside for any period of time? If so, slug probably crawled in then. If not, do slugs have access to where you ferment your beer? I suppose in that case it could have smelled the beer through the airlock, but not as likely

Yet another reason why a tube into container of liquid (I use Starsan) is a better idea than those bottle top airlocks.

In any case, whether I'd drink it or not would probably depend on ratio of slug to beer. If it was a 1 gallon batch I'd dump it. If 5 gallons or more, and it was good beer, I'd probably drink it.

Slugs are the fruit of the beer. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's slug-kabobs, slug creole, slug gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple slugs, lemon slugs, coconut slugs, pepper slugs, slug soup, slug stew, slug salad, slugs and potatoes, slug burger, slug sandwich.

Oh, and...
WelcomeToHBT.jpg

Slugs are the fruit of the beer. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's slug-kabobs, slug creole, slug gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple slugs, lemon slugs, coconut slugs, pepper slugs, slug soup, slug stew, slug salad, slugs and potatoes, slug burger, slug sandwich.
giphy.gif

I have posted elsewhere about finding a chipmunk in my boil once while brewing on the porch - But that was the BOIL! I removed it before the ferment . . . . no really, I swear I did.

If the OP was brewing a Mexican lager of some sort, could one not just plop the little critter into the bottom of one of the finished bottles and claim it was MEANT to be that way?

Don't forget about Canadian Pilsner and those pesky northern mice.

Was that a Michigan chipmumk?? cheeky little fella!

View attachment 839872
Yup - Michigan chipmunk. Never did figure out how he got in there for sure, but no sense wasting a good beer . . . It came out good, but it did have a little squirrelly off flavor

Why do you guys call bullets slugs?
Slugs are heavy and punchy hole-makers for short range brutality.. bullets are light and piercing hole-makers with greater accuracy. Are slugs not as prevelant over there?

In the UK, "No licence is required to possess such ammunition so long as the cartridges contain 5 or more shots." which means buck/bird shot is OK but a single slug is regulated. Hunting the thick woods I would likely have slugs in my shotgun.

We also call fake coins "slugs" for arcades and vending machines.. although those days are pretty much gone.

Latest posts

Back