Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since cider is prone to surface yeast I like to top off with fresh juice to minimize head-space and push out and ambient air with a nice safe blanket of CO2. This is also a good time for fruit additions etc.

What could iuse to top off? Water? I got a jug of juice in the pantry...i have peptic enzyme and sparkloid i can put in...

I top off with more juice, but water seems to be common, and I have heard that some folks even put sanitized marbles into their carboys to take up volume. I try to only use fining agents (typically bentonite but I'm gonna give sparkloid a try next) if the cider does not clear on its own (and most do not).

If you're going to use pectic enzyme you should add it before fermentation. It will still work after, but is somewhat inhibited by the presence of alcohol.

I wouldn't top off with water, that just means you are diluting flavor and alcohol. I agree with LeBreton, only use the clearing agent if you actually need it. I disagree that the pectic enzyme needs to be before fermentation; it works just fine for me in secondary.

I didnt add petic enzyme to secondary, but did before fermentation. I did add some sparkloid and what a difference seen already! I put the airlock bak on and i have some bubbles but not alot, is this normal? Thanks forthe Help o far!

I disagree with pectic enzyme altogether. Why add something unless your selling it on the market. If it tastes good, then what you see is what you're drinking. All you're doing is changing the appearance of it, not changing the taste.

I disagree with pectic enzyme altogether. Why add something unless your selling it on the market. If it tastes good, then what you see is what you're drinking. All you're doing is changing the appearance of it, not changing the taste.

Personally, I believe presentation is a significant part of the cider drinking experience. Having a hazy cider makes it harder to discern the depth of color and the brightness of the drink. That being said, I don't clear all of my ciders, only the better ones of which I am very proud of (and am more likely to give away as a result) get the full treatment.

<----- currently drinking a hazy, pretty unbalanced cider, made from sweet dessert apples.

Back