A few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezcheez

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have some experience making hard cider using cider from a local orchard in 1 gallon containers. When the primary fermentation is done I siphon it into another one gallon container and then top it off with fresh cider for secondary fermentation. When I have done it this way I didn't add yeast during the primary or the secondary and fermentation.

Now, I am making a batch of cider in a 5-gal carboy and I did add yeast during the primary fermentation. I expect it will be ready to rack in another week or so. Here are my questions:

How much yeast should I add for the secondary fermentation? (Note, I do not care about carbonization)
Do I need to add fresh cider to the secondary fermentation? If so, how much?

Going forward, is it best to use apple cider best from the orchard or does it not make a difference if I use store bought cider (so long as it does not have benzoates or sorbates)

Thanks in advance,

Tim

You dont need any yeast added to secondary. After racking from primary there will still beenough present to clean up your residual sugar. In-fact sometimes racking reenegizes the remaining yeast a bit.

As far as what juice is best...My personal pyreference only. I prefer fresh pressed from an orchard but when not available often use purchased or even mix my own uding FAJC. The store bought or frozen doednt carry the flavor profile as the orchard purchased does but can be good (but different) with fruit addition and or acid to taste.

Do I need to add fresh cider to the secondary fermentation? If so, how much?
No. Topping up is for eliminating the air ("head space") in the fermenter. Long term exposure to oxygen can cause off flavors. My method when doing a large batch is to rack into smaller carboys so they can be filled right to the top. Another way is to start with a slightly bigger batch in primary. For instance, start with 5.5 gallons and expect to lose 1/2 gallon when racking off the lees into secondary.

Back