Secondary spike in activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryceefisher

Reaction score
Last weekend I brewed a Berlin Weisse and used Belgium sour mix 1. This is my first sour and I'm seeing some increased activity in the Secondary (more than just co2 coming out of suspension). I wanted to know if anyone else experiences this and if it is the Brett or lacto?
1399243945746.jpg

Not wanting to sound like a smart arse,but that is not quite the best choice for a BW.
I have a lambic-ish fermenting with this now and it also started up again after a few weeks.
I assume that it is the Brett,which had slowly been multiplying,and the bugs taking hold.

Not wanting to sound like a smart arse,but that is not quite the best choice for a BW.
I have a lambic-ish fermenting with this now and it also started up again after a few weeks.
I assume that it is the Brett,which had slowly been multiplying,and the bugs taking hold.

Oh I know that. It will probably be pretty funky and a little out of style. My lhbs didn't have a whole lot of options and I did some reading that said traditionally Berliners probably contained Brett.

while brett can be involved that def won't be a berliner, which is generally a quick sour with just lacto or a sour mash. you made a pseudo lambic, which is going to take closer to a year

it has been noted that bretts sometimes have more and less active cycles, at least when used as the primary yeast. i don't know if that applies in a blend of lots of microbes.

Back