Fermenter volume needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlash630

Reaction score
I am putting a peach Brett saison together and would like to use 2-3# of sliced whole peaches per gallon for the secondary - post Brett fermentation. Does anyone have an idea of the volume that the peaches and and 4 to 5 gallons of beer would occupy? I'm looking at grabbing a 6.5 gallon brew bucket or one of the 8 gallon all rounders.. obviously the brew bucket seems more appealing for a cheaper expense (given this is my first funky brew) but would it fit?

I've also thought about picking up an anvil or ss brew tech brew bucket.. I don't want to get another spike flex (as this will help prevent mixing up the clean/funk fermenters)

The cheap way to go would be two five-gallon food-safe buckets at your nearest hardware store.

But if you're keen on figuring out actual volume needed...

Fill your fermenter with 1 gallon of water, then add your 2 to 3 lbs of sliced peaches, and see what volume level you're at inside the fermenter.
Are you going to keep the peaches submerged? Or letting them float?

I recently kegged a 5 gallon batch with 12 lbs of blackberries, puree'd. I added the blackberries to a 6.5-7 gallon italian glass carboy. The berry puree' occupied close to 2 gallons if not more, of space in the fermenter. Perfect amount before racking the sour beer on top.

I can vouch for either Anvil or SS for their buckets. Great quality, but Anvil edges out SS based on price alone. I bought tons for my sour expedition and they are way easier to keep the funk out compared to any plastic I've ever used.

Though, the Vintage Shop plastic FerMonster has proven even better for the price for my sours. They are not as airtight as the stainless, though you can certainly make them more airtight - I choose not to. I only use them for my sours, the ones that have had sours that is, and have extra seals to prevent xcontam. I have never scrubbed them so they are still relatively scratch free.

But...this is where stainless outshines...cleaning stainless is the easiest thing in the world. Just make sure you have spare seals for every joint/seal that needs them in case you decide to make a different beer than the one that was in there before.

I have not had phantom odors in my plastic from any beer I've brewed yet, but my fermentation vessels only ferment. I have secondary vessels for fruiting/oaking/etc.

Back