Secondary no airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRPJ3

Reaction score
I'm looking to getting a pipeline going on the cheap. Fermenting in 6.5 gal buckets atm and thinking about racking to 5 gal food safe buckets as a secondary. I know a lot of people boast about the benefits of a long primary but seeing as I can snag these 5 gal buckets for 5 bucks a pop new, I like the idea of doing a secondary and freeing up my fermenter.

My question is: since fermentation should be finished, I should be able to get away with just sealing it up with the bucket lid, no airlock or blowoff tube (assuming that i wont be adding any fruits and/or fermentables) right?

Hello, Airlocks are one of the cheapest things you can buy in home brewing, that being said, I wouldn't seal up a brew that still might be fermenting, if it builds pressure it just might split the bucket = brew gone and a big mess :(, IMO not worth taking the chance over getting a $2 airlock.

Cheers :mug:

the real issue is that i dont own a drill and I'm too cheap to shell out the $ for one. Anyone know if the 6.5 gal lids are the same size as 5 gal bucket lids? If so Ill just buy some of those online.

If the lid fits nice and tight you'll probably be okay, but I say spend the $2 an airlock and install a grommet in the lid. Even if it is done fermenting, movement or changes in temp can cause dissolved co2 to be released.

If you're set on going without an airlock, I would not recommend sealing the buckets tightly. Just put them somewhere they won't be disturbed and set the lid on top. If pressure builds, it'll gently lift the lid just enough to vent, rather than building until you wind up with a catastrophic failure. As long as the lids are the correct size, they should give a pretty good seal (just from gravity) except when venting. You could also consider loosely taping them down, just to keep the lids from getting knocked loose if the bucket gets bumped.

I totally agree with the lid on loose thing. You don’t need a seal, you just want to keep the dust out.

<facepalm> First off, little rant, no drill? You can easily find an inexpensive drill that can do the trick... they're also handy around the house for.... things..... Also, if you're really opposed to owning a drill, and really can't find a drilled, grommeted lid that fits the buckets you're using for secondary, there are other ways to cut a hole. I personally wouldn't want it sealed up without an airlock, since the beer will undoubtedly release co2 after being transferred. And I don't think I'd be comfortable leaving it unsealed, although it may be ok 9 out of ten times. Really, I get the saving $$ thing, but all in all, for a drilled lid, grommet and airlock we're talking under ~$10, and for a cheap hand drill, ~$15.

Just an idea, but I'd get more bigger buckets and skip the 5 gallon clearing vessels. The reason is that there is a very wide headspace in a bucket, which is fine for primary. But once fermentation slows down, and the beer is racked, co2 is no longer being produced and the beer is at a much greater risk of infection due to the wide headspace. I see several photos every day of infections in the clearing vessel, but almost never in a primary.

Keep the beer in the primary for 2 weeks, then package. Unless adding oak or fruit or something, I can't see any reason to rack to another bucket.

Is there a particular reason you want to use a secondary as opposed to just bottling/kegging? I've never heard of any benefits of a "long primary" either. You don't want your beer sitting on top of all that dead yeast for that long.

What kind of beer are you making?

Lol...it seems our definition of "long" is quite different. 3-4 weeks, sure. When I heard long primary, i was thinking he meant 3-4 months.

Thanks to all that replied. Just got off of a double and was unable to reply until now. I suppose I'll still go for the secondary, like the idea of clearing the beer a bit more and leaves the option for oak additions and what not to stouts. Just realized I can drill the lids at work (and also realized how cheap the bits are for it). 9 times out of 10 without an infection sounds like a decent rate but just the idea of an infected batch sounds like my first born just died. Might as well do it right. Thanks all :mug:

Back