airlock not sealed for a few months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margolunet

Reaction score
i'm making mead for the first time and i just went to rack it and realized the airlock wasn't tightly sealed, there were some gaps around where it was placed into the cap. i tasted it and it tastes really good actually, but i'm wondering if it's safe to drink? it's been fermenting a couple months like i said. i made it, put it away, and forgot about it until now haha so i'm not sure if it was ever tightly sealed or if this is a new development. let me know! i'd love to continue to drink it.

If it fermented. Then there's a certain amount of truth to alcohol kills the germs. So if it tastes good, and even if it didn't taste good, it's still likely safe.

Also, open fermentation of beer and other things is a legitimate process. If your fermenter was in otherwise clean environment, then even less likely to be issues. Most infections only result in bad tastes. And you don't describe any signs of infection.

Also maybe a certain amount of oxymoron to safe, since alcohol itself brings a lot of unsafe possibilities with it! :bigmug:

Latest posts

Back