Secondary infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tau7

Reaction score
First off. Thanks for this forum!! Only been on a couple days and already hooked.

That said.

Help. I have an IPA in my secondary that is churning like crazy and has a layer of fine, white foam on top. It went in the secondary at .002 over FG so I didn't expect this much activity. I'm afraid it is infected. Any way to tell? Also it was dry hopped.

Thanks for your help.

Picture would help. My opinion is that it's fine and fermentation wasn't done yet.

Here's a picture.

image-1178744191.jpg

It's been in the secondary for a week. Lots of tiny bubbles and hops rolling around.

Doesnt look infected to me. I had a stout do the same thing but the bubbles were dark brown. Stayed there until I keg'd it. It was delicious.

If youre worried, take your wine thief and grab a sample. Maybe taste the bubbles as well. Your nose and tongue know best.

Thanks for info y'all. I will keep watching it, more hopefully now.

Looks totally normal to me..... How long did you wait to rack it into secondary..... I rarely use a secondary unless Im (dry hopping, adding fruit, oaking,etc) The only time I have ever ended up with a secondary Krausen was with a strawberry Hefe and it was very thin light, and even a little pink in color.

I've had that happen when dry hopping in primary. It's either finishing up getting to FG,or it's just off gassing. IME,it did ferment more,but only slightly from the hop addition.

OK. I'm back for some more reassurance. The above batch is still in the secondary and after more than two weeks is unchanged. Still looks exactly like the picture above. Fine white foam at top, with layer of hops above. Churning.

Still OK?

OK. I'm back for some more reassurance. The above batch is still in the secondary and after more than two weeks is unchanged. Still looks exactly like the picture above. Fine white foam at top, with layer of hops above. Churning.

Still OK?

Has the SG reading changed at all?

Tastes and smells fine. Not too thin. SG went from 1.015 to 1.010. I'd bottle it now if it would quit moving!

which yeast are you using? can't believe i haven't asked that yet. it's acting an awful lot like a saison yeast

Your hydrometer knows best and most airlocks are liars. :)

Be happy if it falls another point or two - id much rather drink a dry IPA than one that is under attenuated. More time in the carboy with WLP029 will only get you clearer beer in the long run, but trust your hydrometer and let them clean up for you.

how long from when you pitched the yeast until the secondary? it's been in the 2ndary 2 wks, right? what's your fermentation temp?

somebody on the white labs page mentions their fermentation took 16 days. so it looks like this can be a slow yeast. i've never used it but reading that page makes me want to try.

Pitched yeast on 7-22. Went in secondary on 7-27 after primary stopped bubbling.

Back