Secondary Fermentation Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayeness

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I am extremely brand new to this and so far have been gaining most of my knowledge from the "University of YouTube" (UofYou) hahaha.

[Belgian Golden Ale]
I have transferred from my primary ferm to my 5 gal. carboy for secondary ferm.
Been 7 days in the 2nd so far and is starting to clear up,
1. Can I take from the 2nd and rack over to a 1 gallon carboy? Have some experiments I want to try out.
2. Is there a limit to how long brew can stay in the secondary before racking, i.e. bottle 1/2 now, 1/2 later? or should I bottle all at one time?

Thanking all in advance.

Last edited:
First of all, don't transfer to secondary in the future. You gain nothing from it except oxidation. This is true the vast majority of the time - just don't do it and your beer will be better.

You can rack however much you want into smaller vessels if you want to experiment.

There's no reason why you can't bottle half now, and half later.

How long can it stay in fermenter, I guess I'm trying ask how long before it HAS TO be bottled?

I've left mine in the primary for a couple months before, and didn't detect any "off" flavors from being in contact with the trub. Secondary has less trub/yeast in contact, so you should be able to go that long easily (if you really had to). I would bottle it long before that though, since you've exposed it to oxygen and that will make your beer go stale much quicker than if you had kept in primary.

Bottle it up and drink it sooner than later is my advice.

People have been known to leave beer in a carboy for years, the pH and ABV help keep it safe. The problem with bottling half now and half later is that the half you pulled out got replaced with air and everything that was floating around in the air (wild yeast, bacteria, etc) including 20% oxygen. For secondary containers you want as little head space as possible.

How long can it stay in fermenter, I guess I'm trying ask how long before it HAS TO be bottled?
As long as you want. It never "has" to be bottled

At some point there are no possible benefits from leaving it there while oxygen an other "stuff" degrade it.

Of course some sours remain unbottled for months or longer.

Most homebrew does not benefit from secondary fermentation because the Beta rest is omitted from most recipes. When a Beta rest is used secondary fermentation is needed because the complex sugar formed during conversion, maltose and maltotriose, are converted back into glucose during secondary fermentation. The glucose is used for fuel and the gravity reduces closer to expected FG.
During the aging phase the same thing happens to maltotriose and natural carbonation occurs and the beer clears and gravity reduces to expected FG.
Here's what happens during fermentation when a Beta rest is used. During primary fermentation yeast rips through glucose cranking out the majority ABV and it leaves behind complex sugar. After 10 days the beer is transferred off the goop and placed into a second fermenter. During secondary fermentation another conversion happens. Yeast contains an enzyme and during secondary fermentation yeast absorb maltose and the enzyme converts maltose into glucose, the sugar it came from. The sugar is fuel. After 14 days the beer is transferred off the goop and placed in kegs for natural carbonation and clearing to take place.

Back