secondary and keeping yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steinaken

Reaction score
So, 2 things.

The first is that I keep getting my ciders brewed in about 4-5 days (finished fermentation). However I am unhappy with the amount of particulates I am getting also. So - I have a 20L bucket with a lid, and just put ~18L into it - mostly just cider, some particulate, which I presume also contains yeast. I also threw in the remaining ~1/2 kilo of honey (other half went into primary). My thought process sounds like this - If the yeast reactivates and converts the sugars into alcohol, that's a plus. I can wait for that process to finish and let it settle before I bottle it. If there is insufficient yeast to use that sugar (i will be sad as my last 2 batches would not carbonate in the bottles :/)then I will have back-sweetened the newest brew. IF i have misled myself anywhere in this process it would be pretty swell to hear about that.

onto the second thing - I would like to keep the yeast from this batch (and the residual flavours) for the next batch - which will consist of the same types of fruit. I am wondering how long I can reasonably expect for this yeast to survive, as it will be at least 5 more days before I will have the fruit and be ready to create the new brew. Is it worth trying to carry this yeast over, or should I just start from scratch?

Bonus 3rd question - I intended to just quarter the next load of fruit and adding it to ~12L of apple juice, as it will be more stone fruits and juicing it was a chronic pain in the a**. What, if any, are the biggest disadvantages of doing this rather than juicing them (which wasted a LOT of juice last time, as well as taking a ridiculously long time).

Any help is, as always, much appreciated

Fermentation time is relevant to temp, cooler temp longer ferment, warmer temp faster ferment with more fussells.
Particulates is equal to not enough pectic enzyme. Either add from powder or papaya peelings. Pectic causes fruit to let go more juice, and causes particulates to clump and settle.
Yeast is still there just dormant or have reached alcohol tolerance, or ran out of sugars. If repriming with sugar doesent get a response, could possibly repitch more yeast to reaquire enough to carbonate. You can wash yeast for another batch. You just need to keep left overs from bottling and seperate from trube. Keeping like batches from original ferment type as to not get strange flavor mix.

ok. I have just been putting in the flavour source (juice, concentrates fruits etc,) and yeast tbh. lmao. I will have to get some pectic enzyme obviously. Not sure what you mean re fussells?

What is the best way to "wash" the yeast for reusing in a new brew?

Fusels are a more potent form of alcohol usually associated with fermenting at higher temps. Causing yeast to work faster can make more. More fusels can cause a bad smell and harsh taste that may or may not age out.
How i wash my yeast. After tranfer to 2nd ferment or bottling. Keep whats left in fermenter. My 5 gal i add about 2 gal water, mix, then let settle out. After settling, it will seperate into three prominate layers. Top to bottom will be, beer, yeast, trub. Pour off beer and yeast leaving trub. Let pour off settle again. Repeat until you have smaller managable amount to store. Store in fridge. When making next batch, pull out yeast let warm up to room temp and make your starter first. Then use at time to pitch.

I have been having issues with secondary fermentation with my cider. I have been using Nottingham ale yeast and the primary fermentation takes off rapidly. I leave it sit 10-14 days then rack into a clean bucket and add berry juice let it sit for another 14 days. I see no activity in the airlock when I rack it over and add berry juice.

I have been having issues with secondary fermentation with my cider. I have been using Nottingham ale yeast and the primary fermentation takes off rapidly. I leave it sit 10-14 days then rack into a clean bucket and add berry juice let it sit for another 14 days. I see no activity in the airlock when I rack it over and add berry juice.

What exactly is the juice? Does it contain preservatives?

What exactly is the juice? Does it contain preservatives?

i used a frozen berry blend. The bag ingredients said strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. No word on preservatives.

did I leave it too long in primary where it ate up all the sugar and the yeast died? There was a bunch of slime on the bottom. Or did racking it into a clean and sanitized bucket leave behind the yeast

Have you tested gravity yet? Airlock activity is not a proper indication of yeast activity. I have a few buckets that do not seal well, and fermentation does not produce many bubbles in the airlock.

There should have been plenty of yeast left over after racking to ferment the simple sugars in the berries.

Taking hydrometer readings would be the only way to know if fermentation is occurring. I will try that tonight. Thanks!

Fusels are a more potent form of alcohol usually associated with fermenting at higher temps. Causing yeast to work faster can make more. More fusels can cause a bad smell and harsh taste that may or may not age out.
How i wash my yeast. After tranfer to 2nd ferment or bottling. Keep whats left in fermenter. My 5 gal i add about 2 gal water, mix, then let settle out. After settling, it will seperate into three prominate layers. Top to bottom will be, beer, yeast, trub. Pour off beer and yeast leaving trub. Let pour off settle again. Repeat until you have smaller managable amount to store. Store in fridge. When making next batch, pull out yeast let warm up to room temp and make your starter first. Then use at time to pitch.

so i have noticed with a lot of my later brews that i end up with 3 distinct layers, but they dont match this order. probably because the last couple of batches have been made with real fruit puree - I get a cake on top, which visibly includes fruit chunk, a lot of liquid (presumably the cider) and a layer on the bottom which i would describe as silty - so, is the top layer the yeast , or the bottom layer? or do i have 2 very close together layers at the bottom and the top layer is something else?

Back