Sanke to Corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenenviro

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I want to transfer a 5 gal of beer from a sanke to a corny keg. All I have is the picnic type, hand pump tap and some hose. Can I just transfer in and then make sure to add CO2 again right away? This the simplest way?

If you hand pump the beer, it will get oxidized. Those pumps are made to empty the entire keg in one night.
What you should do is; hookup co2 and beer line to sankey, then at the other end of the beer line put on a black (out) corny disconnect, then connect to the sankey coupler to the sankey keg and the corny disconnect to the out post. Then all you will have to do is turn on the co2 to a lower pressure and pul the pressure relief valve on the corny keg every once in awhile.

The longer the beer sits in the Sankey with a picnic tap, the more it'll get oxidized. If you have a fresh keg and transfer the beer to your corney immediately after tapping, or even the same night - I'm guessing it'll be fine. Purge the corney a few times after filling it and hit it up with some CO2. Will it be as good / fresh as if it had been on CO2 the whole time - probably not. Will you notice? I'm guessing also probably not.

I've done something like this before, instead of playing with the pressure relief valve like tmendick mention, you could try a gas disconnect on the corny keg you're transfering into. Gas post with a a length of tubing and then run it into a bucket with some sanitizer like a blow off setup. Run the PSI really low, just enough to move the beer, and you'll start to see some foam coming into the blow off when you're getting close to the end. Much easier and completely sealed :mug:

Why not just keep it in the sanke and buy a coupler for 30 bucks? I guess it depends on the quantity and quality of the beer but that's what I would do.

^^^ Kind of agree. why? is the question that came to mind when you were asking if you could.

Can you? Sure, go ahead.

Not understanding the "Why", maybe if you toss some details??

I live in northern Alberta and the liquor distributors require a deposit and can only keep the keg for a week maximum.

The only sanke tap available is the hand pump picnic style. I cannot add a co2 line in with these pumps can I?

If you hand pump the beer, it will get oxidized. Those pumps are made to empty the entire keg in one night.
What you should do is; hookup co2 and beer line to sankey, then at the other end of the beer line put on a black (out) corny disconnect, then connect to the sankey coupler to the sankey keg and the corny disconnect to the out post. Then all you will have to do is turn on the co2 to a lower pressure and pul the pressure relief valve on the corny keg every once in awhile.

Even if I hand pump the whole sanke keg into the corny at one time this will oxidize the beer??

No, you can't (at least I don't think so). But you can buy your own coupler for $30 as mentioned. A one week max is nuts, most places give you 30 days and only enforce it if you take their coupler. Ask the store if you can keep it for a few months if you provide the coupler.

Back