Another hopwater question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Jeff

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some hopzoil the I bought from @Corny Keg
I'm wanting to make some hopwater, is it just as simple as adding the hopziol vial contents to a keg and filling with water and putting it on tap?

As best as I can tell, that's all there is to it.

Should I boil the water first and add the hot water to the keg, or maybe just bring the water to 160 or so, fill the keg with hot water, add the hopzoil, close keg, put in kegerator to cool, hooked up to co2?

I have several vials:
Citrus Fusion
Centennial
Cascade
West Coast Fusion

Thoughts?

I've also seen where is seems that some say to add a bit of sugar and yeast to cold water to "scrub/scavenge" the oxygen out of the water and carbonate the water.
It seems to be all over the place with ideas/thoughts.

With a barrel being 31 gallons, 1ml in a five gallon keg of water would put it at the 6ml/BBL if I am interpreting the chart correctly.

Upon checking all of what I have is Majik.

Thanks.
I saw that thread, I just wanted to use the Hopzoil that I already have.

I also have a freezer full of hops that I could use, if I was so motivated.

It might be best if I tried some first, but have no idea as to were to buy any.
I'm pretty certain that there is none in the county that I live.
Likely some in Madison County, AL, where I used to live.
If I knew of a store where I could buy a bottle or two, I would, but not willing to search stores for it.

After having read that thread previously, my latest thoughts are to take a keg that previously had Saison in it and has been sealed, has residual yeast, fill it with tap water, the water is good here, add in a cup or so of sugar and the hopzoil, seal the keg, hit it with 30-40 psi or so, to seal the lid, and let is sit at room temperature for a week or so, then put it on tap.

Maybe try eye-dropper dosing a glass of straight soda water?

I've never tasted any hop water but apparently this Hopwtr stuff is available a couple miles from my house and if I can pick up just a bottle I'll give it a try...

Cheers!

Maybe try eye-dropper dosing a glass of straight soda water?

I've never tasted any hop water but apparently this Hopwtr stuff is available a couple miles from my house and if I can pick up just a bottle I'll give it a try...

Cheers!

Cool

I went to the site you linked and saw that there is a place about ten miles from where I work that has it as well.

is it just as simple as adding the hopziol vial contents to a keg and filling with water and putting it on tap?

One step I would add to your simple method above is to acidify it somehow, to ensure it stays food safe. Most sources I read recommended it. It could be adding lemon/lime juice or just straight citric/lactic acid.

Some people who tried it with and without yeast said there was a big difference, others said they couldn't tell a difference at all.

I spent quite a bit of time researching the various ways to make hop water a while back, and it seems there's no single prevailing method.

Thanks.
I saw that thread, I just wanted to use the Hopzoil that I already have.

I also have a freezer full of hops that I could use, if I was so motivated.

It might be best if I tried some first, but have no idea as to were to buy any.
I'm pretty certain that there is none in the county that I live.
Likely some in Madison County, AL, where I used to live.
If I knew of a store where I could buy a bottle or two, I would, but not willing to search stores for it.

After having read that thread previously, my latest thoughts are to take a keg that previously had Saison in it and has been sealed, has residual yeast, fill it with tap water, the water is good here, add in a cup or so of sugar and the hopzoil, seal the keg, hit it with 30-40 psi or so, to seal the lid, and let is sit at room temperature for a week or so, then put it on tap.
The commercial hop waters I have had are no where near what I make for myself. The plus side is if you like heavier or lighter hop additions you have to ability to make it the way you like. I agree with @Brushwood Brewing on acidity additions even though you’ll have it under refrigeration unwanted things can flourish. Also keep your equipment sanitized.

No experience with this particular product but I make hop water with regular hops. I wouldn't boil it. You don't need or want to boil off the flavor or isomerize alpha acids and increase bitterness. Just add to cool water and carb it up. Presumably this is a sanitary product that you're putting into safe municipal water that you'll keep cold. Very little chance for any microbial problems.

Many have recommended boiling the water, letting it cool to 170F or less before adding the hops, in order to get some of the oils in like a WP. It will also help with de-oxygenating the water, which will preserve the hop flavors.

I've tried a few times to make hop water. Crashed and burned the first few, then nailed the latest ones after actually paying it serious attention and research. The keys, I've found for me (YMMV), are:
  • Acidify. For food safety purposes, it needs to be below pH 3.4 or something like that. I've found that taste-wise, it pops with the pH low, and i shoot for 2.9-3.0 coming out of the boil.
  • Two schools of thought: boil vs no boil. I've made the no-boil and liked the boil better - the slight bitterness backbone makes it much more drinkable.
  • Yeast. I've made it with and without yeast, and prefer having yeast present to biotransform the little bit of hop material/oils that are present.
That vid from Lagunitas seriously improved my attemps - follow that.

Edit: let me clarify the "boil" part, as I misremembered my process. Boil the water ahead of time to deaerate and sterilize. Then chill and drop the temp to 180-190°F and whirlpool the hops then. THAT should impart a bit of bitterness that (IMO) is needed. Don't boil the hops, that drives off the volitile goodness. I actually utilize a hop dip process: once the full boil is starting to chill, runoff a portion to a second container containing the hops. There I hold the hop slurry at 180°F, and once the main portion is chilled down, add the hop slurry back to it, then the yeast.

Last edited:
Back