Sanke keg, foam in line. Help please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxBrewer

Reaction score
So I have had two kegs that have been nothing but foam, so I think I have an issue somewhere in my system. As the keg is sitting I can see foam forming in the lines, bubbling constantly up out of the tap. 3/16 line that is about 6' long. I know the length of line might be too short, but I'm not totally convinced... Because it's just foaming in the line all the time.

What I have done:
I am sure it's below 40 degrees
Turned the PSI down, currently at about 5 PSI.
Cleaned the tap with a brush all the way through
Cleaned the lines with hot PBW

Has anybody seen foam forming constantly like this? It just is always bubbling up, and the pour is too fast if I up the pressure to 10-15 PSI to the point where the foam gets way worse.

Please help me out, having a party tomorrow and still can't figure it out. I am at a loss, and the only other idea I have is I need to replace the tap.

Thanks in advance!

vzqElkV.jpg

For anybody who comes across this, I went to my local homebrew place for advice. Turns out i'm an idiot and I didn't have 3/16 line, that was my other piece of hose I had. And I went up to 10'. Also, they told me to depressurize the keg for a couple days, by purging it as the CO2 is released. I am still not up to 10 PSI for serving, but it's infinitely better now.

The real problem (besides the short serving line) is that your pressure is way too low. Commercial beer usually comes carbed up around 2.6-2.7 volumes of CO2. If your keg is at 40 degrees, that means you need about 14 psi to maintain the carbonation level. If you have it lower, CO2 will come out of solution to balance things out and that means foam in the line. Dropping the carb level in the keg by purging repeatedly over a couple days will even things out, though in the end you'll be serving at a lower carbonation level than intended by the brewery.

You can generally call/e-mail the brewery and they'll tell you the carb level. A 12 foot 3/16" ID line and the proper PSI will ensure you're serving it as intended.

What zachattack said. Plus You'll need to add about 0.5 psi for every 1000' elevation you'll be keeping the beer at for proper carbonation. So your beer line is still 5 feet to short.

PapaO

Or just get a flow control faucet. I screwed with tap line lengths and pressures and finally just got a Perlick with flow control. Some people have complained of a sulfur odor form theirs due to a part Perlick used but mine have been fine. I can fill growlers to little tasters as I can control the flow. The other big advantage is I don't have to mess with a bunch of tubing in the way when I am changing kegs out or if I change beers and serve at a higher or lower pressure.

Mark

Back