Sanke Keg Cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grupe

Reaction score
No one has seemed to document how to build a keg cleaner for Sanke kegs without removing the ball so this is how we are doing it.

First thing I did was locate a propane tank with a bad valve. I completely drained the tank first. Then I removed the valve and filled it full of water 3 times. I would suggest doing all of this outside as it stinks. Then I got my four inch hole saw, drilled two holes in the top and then used my cut off wheel to make the two holes into an oval. A bigger hole saw would be a good idea as my little armed hardly fit into the hole, but it was what I had on hand.

540363_10150684925319476_759744475_8857388_485622971_n.jpg

Next up was a trip to Lowes to get a 120 volt hot water heater element and electric hot water heater thermostat. I ended up going with a 1500 watt element as I wanted the unit to be able to run on a 20 amp circuit. Running the heating element on its own isn’t a problem but when you add in a water pump things get a little closer to 20 amps. Here is a picture of me testing out the heating element and thermostat to make sure it would do what I wanted. I would like to note that the test was grounded after I clamped the ground wire to the work bench. See bottom right side of following picture. :)

64126_10150644221699476_759744475_8734398_1099687640_n.jpg

Next up I drilled the hole in the tank for the heating element. Back to Lowes I went to find a box to mount the heating element and thermostat in. I couldn’t find a thing, but remembered I had a spa gfci box at home that we had gutted for our beer sculpture built. Everything fit nicely inside the box so I drill a hole in it and the picture below shows me double checking my setup.

Parts list:
1 X http://www.mcmaster.com/#4464K586 - had to grind the side off of it to fit the tank.
1 X http://www.mcmaster.com/#96853a253
1 X http://www.mcmaster.com/#9396k38 (already had these from previous project)

422816_10150655738444476_759744475_8767945_66526592_n.jpg

At this point I felt that the heating system was tested enough and would work fine for our application. Time to built a stand to mount the vessel, pump and controls.

423693_10150659836894476_759744475_8779066_1269865740_n.jpg

We decided we didn’t need a food grade pump since all the water we pump into the keg will be hot and have sanitizer in it. I picked up a 1 hp centrifugal pump on eBay for $57 shipped. It was selected as it seemed like it would produce enough flow for our system. We wanted the water running into the keg to blast the hot water onto the walls to get any old beer out of it. I wish I had a more scientific reason for selecting this pump but I don't. The pump has a max temp of 140 degrees F which seemed fine for our application as well. Once I had the pump I got a 1” X 2” black nipple, drilled a 1” hole into the center of the bottom of the vessel and welded it on. This will be the outlet from the vessel to the pump.

I borrowed a 5 gallons sanke and keg tap from one of my buddies for the next part of the testing. I disassembled the keg tap and removed the one way ball so water could be pumped through the center of the keg. I also ordered two ½ keg tap connectors as I didn’t want to restrict the flow going into the keg. You can buy these connectors here: http://www.kegs.com/products/keg-coupler-thread-12-inch-barb/. The hose I used was ½ braided hose from Lowes. It sucks as it is not very flexible, but should be fine as we will likely only use this system a couple times a month.

A little more welding on the stand and a few pieces of pipe later we were ready to give it a test.

429288_10150668252734476_759744475_8799884_514034807_n.jpg

On the first test (as the picture above shows) we didn’t have the values on the output side of the pump or the connector for the compressed air. When I ran the system like this it pumped all the water out of the vessel and filled up the keg with water. This was not a desired outcome so back to Lowes we went.

I then added a control value on the output side of the pump, a tee and another valve to connect the compressed air fitting. My theory was that slowing the flow of water out of the pump and adding some air to both increase the velocity that the water was entering and exiting the keg would stop the keg from filling up with water. My theory proved to work out very well. I didn’t have to close the water out value very much or open the air value very much to keep the water moving out of the keg. For everyone worried about safety, the braided hose is going to break before the keg blows up due to pressure. Here is a picture of the next test:

526798_10150684964189476_759744475_8857506_230096667_n.jpg

At this point it was time to start putting the finishing touches on the system. I welded some support pieces to support the pump and put on some wheels.

486312_10150672697169476_759744475_8816747_1821317390_n.jpg

Then I drilled a ¾” hole into the vessel and welded a ½” female fitting for the return.

292520_10150672698029476_759744475_8816760_1302280579_n.jpg

Got a box and a couple of switches from Lowes. I decided to go with one with a light for the heating element side (on the left) and a plugin type for the pump (on the right) since the pump already had a plugin type cord. I also drilled a hole in the spa box and put in a 120 volt light so I could tell when the heating element was on. You just wire it in parallel to the heating element and it will turn on and off when the thermostat turns the element on and off.

483632_10150672698814476_759744475_8816767_1508294577_n.jpg

Some notes:
1. 12 gauge wire was used for all of the wiring.
2. If you build this, make sure to connect the system to a GFCI outlet as working with electric and water at the same time could kill you
3. Info on drilling the hole for the heating element can be found at the following link. We used step bits instead of the punches, but this page will help: http://theelectricbrewery.com/heating-elements?page=3

And that is all there is too it. Just heat up the water, add sanitizer, connect the keg, set it upside down on the stand, turn on the pump and air and let it clean for 5 to 10 minutes. Here is a picture of the final product:

303472_10150672696404476_759744475_8816739_60364630_n.jpg

Feedback welcome.

have you tried running the rig without the compressed air and just closing off the valve a bit?

just wondering how necessary the air is... seems like there's other setups out there similar in design and don't utilize any compressed air.

also... any pics/directions on removing the one-way valve from the sanke coupling?

very cool! Doing this without the compressed air is possible, I do it at my pub with a rims tube heating the cleaner on its way into the beverage port, and make sure it is going in at 180 F at least, andthe keg is at room temp.
This causes enough pressure to eject the cleaner out the gas port and back into the kettles side port.
The pump must be strong enough to keep that pressure up, I use a march nano pump.
The coupler I use is sabco's was and fill coupler, with the ports expanded to a full 1/2 inch.

I do admit the air would be preferable.. if that cleaner goes in a little too cool, it all becomes a real pita.

Sorry for the delayed response.

My first design did not use compressed air. I found that the pump was filling up the keg with water. My assumption would be that air in the keg is of course compressible so the water pumped into the keg and instead of pushing the water back out of the keg it was compressing the air and filling the keg with water. After adding the compressed air I was able to let the rig run for as long as desired and the level in the holding tank stayed constant. My plan at some point is to run a half inch drill bit down through the keg head to reduce the flow restriction on both ports.

Removing the check ball seems to vary from head to head. The one I used on this setup required unscrewing a piece of the tail housing and then the ball came out. On a couple of the heads I got from RiteBrew, it looks like I need to remove a snap ring.

Hi. Is there a way we can get the pictures linked backed up? I'm interested in seeing this build. Thanks :mug:

I have done some modifications and need to update the post. The 1500 watt element isn't big enough to get the water to 170 F so I replaced it with a 5500 watt element. I had the 5500 watt element laying around or i would have used a smaller one. The new element is controlled with a PID/SSR/Relay setup. The design was modeled off Kal's plans. Let me know what questions you have. I am planning on running the cleaner on Thursday night with our new setup and will post results.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/526798_10150684964189476_230096667_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/303472_10150672696404476_60364630_n.jpg

How do you like that pump? Do you turn the pump off between kegs or throttle the flow with the valve on the output? Or both? My understanding is that those pumps like to be run continuously with minimal restriction. Just curious what your experience has been.

I am looking to build a similar rig with a spray ball and couplers for cleaning corny kegs and also be configured to cip conicals, tanks etc..

Thanks and look forward to updates on this thread.

The pump is fine. We turn it off between kegs/concals, but also contorl flow with the valves. I don't think it is going to hold up to the 170 degree water it is soon going to have going through it, but I guess we will see. We really don't have the $700 for march nano with a stainless head at this point.

The reason we are upgrading is we have a major mold issue with our plastic conicals. Honestly I get more pissed every time i have to explain the problem and no one gives me anything too useful in response. So here is what is going down this weekend with the CIP lid for our tanks:

1. Tank One
a. Water over 170 for 20 minutes to rinse
b. Dump water
c. Water over 170 with the PBW stuff we have for 20 minutes
d. Water over 170 to rinse for 10 minutes
e. Fill with 5 gallon sugar water
f. See what happens

2. Tank Two
b. Dump water
c. Water over 170 with the 5% NaOH for 20 minutes
d. Water over 170 to rinse for 10 minutes
f. See what happens

3. Tank Three
b. Dump water
c. Chemicals from your Dad with his process
d. Fill with 5 gallon sugar water
e. See what happens

4. Tank Four (control tank) – This tank should mold
a. Water under 150 for 20 minutes to rinse
b. Dump water
c. Water under 150 with the PBW stuff we have for 20 minutes
d. Water under 150 with starstan to rinse for 10 minutes
f. See what happens

I will post the plans for my temp controller one of these days...

Man, I know this thread is exactly one year old but does someone have access to the pictures originally posted? I reckon this is one of the sturdiest DIY sanke keg cleaner projects and would love to see the process right.

Thanks

Wow. It has been a year since I built this thing. There have been some modifications since the first design. Here are some pictures which should get you started and i will take some new ones this weekend when we are using it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Here are some more pictures:

Picture of a keg getting washed
10.jpg

Picture of the 3500 watt heating element. We should have used a bigger one
11.jpg

Picture of the water in valve. It is to painful to bucket water into the small opening
12.jpg

Picture of us cleaning our concials
13.jpg

Picture from the other side
14.jpg

Picture of the pump mounting and hosing
15.jpg

CIP head that goes in the lid for the conicals
16.jpg

Did you ever figure out your mold problem with the plastic conicals?

edit: Also, do you have a video of this badboy in operation?

We haven't had the mold issue since we started running the higher temps. We are brewing in 2 weeks and I will grab a video.

Back