Sanitizing the Lid ?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

Should the Kettle's Lid also be sanitized before chilling the Wort ( after One-Hour-Boiling ) , as I cover the Pot with the Lid after the boiling ?!

Hector

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. However I usually put the lid on a min or two before its done boiling. I've convinced myself that the steam is sanitizing the lid. Also as long as the lid doesn't touch the wort I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I do I drop in my santizer plastic bin with my other brew equipment. If I remove it for a reason or two I put it back in there.

I don't use a lid when I am chilling for multiple reasons:
1. A lid won't allow me to stir to maximize cooling.
2. A lid will help keep a small amount of heat in (not that important though)
3. I am not paranoid about infections. I have done 6 batches without a lid and no problems. The lid doesn't actually touch the wort so any risk is nearly eliminated.

I have never stirred the wort while I'm chilling. I just put it in the sink in ice and ice cold water and change the water out once and I'm down to low 70s in about 20-25 minutes. Will stirring help shorten this time? And how exactly does the stirring help?

Stirring will allow for a greater heat transfer. However, it will also promote greater oxidation into the hot wort (which they say is bad). Stirring the bath water will also help without effecting the wort.

If you like the hobby, and will be doing this more, with larger boils, invest in an immersion chiller.

I have never stirred the wort while I'm chilling. I just put it in the sink in ice and ice cold water and change the water out once and I'm down to low 70s in about 20-25 minutes. Will stirring help shorten this time? And how exactly does the stirring help?

I use a wort chiller for one thing. For me, the wort directly around my immersion chiller is the coldest. This means I am pumping cold water against wort that is already cold. A couple times I have gotten side tracked while cooling and I forget to stir. The water coming out of my cooler may be about 90 degree, but then if I give my wort a quick stir, the temperature will suddenly jump up to 130 degrees. I want the hottest part of the wort to always be contacting my chiller.

As for oxidation, have you guys ever experienced it? Or are you just worried because you heard about oxidation on HBT? I create a very nice whirlpool in my kettle as I am cooling. I have NEVER experienced any oxidation flavors.

I put star san in a spray bottle and spray everything, lids, sides, lip of the bucket everything. can never be to sanitary.

+1 to that. A spray bottle is one of the handiest pieces of brewing equipment you can get. I got the idea from this forum and I recommend it to anybody and everybody new to the hobby. Plus, it saves you on star san over the long haul.

I put star san in a spray bottle and spray everything, lids, sides, lip of the bucket everything. can never be to sanitary.

I thought stirring the wort before pitching was called "aeration," and thus good, and not oxidation? Doesn't oxidation only happen durring fermentation?

Or am I confused?

PS: Back on topic, I use two pots. I don't bother with sanitation, at my peril. I probably will next time, although one is a pressure canner lid and thus a pain to immerse in StarSan.

I thought stirring the wort before pitching was called "aeration," and thus good, and not oxidation? Doesn't oxidation only happen durring fermentation?

I usually stir the wort uncovered as it's cooling in my tub. My mash peddle never leaves the pot, so I don't worry about sanitation there. I splash it around a little bit more in the primary before pitching the yeast. It works OK but if anything, my wort might be underoxigenated.

I don't use a lid when I am chilling for multiple reasons:
1. A lid won't allow me to stir to maximize cooling.
2. A lid will help keep a small amount of heat in (not that important though)
3. I am not paranoid about infections. I have done 6 batches without a lid and no problems. The lid doesn't actually touch the wort so any risk is nearly eliminated.

I hear you I'm all about doing what works. I always use lid and it has worked. My concern with out a lid is airbone infections....

I just hit the lid with Star san

Stirring will allow for a greater heat transfer. However, it will also promote greater oxidation into the hot wort (which they say is bad). Stirring the bath water will also help without effecting the wort.

If you like the hobby, and will be doing this more, with larger boils, invest in an immersion chiller.

gently stirring will not induce oxidation and after the wort is below 140° or so you can vigorously stir.

oxidation is cause by inducing aeration while the wort is still hot. But the general thoughts here its a non issue for the home brewer.

Back