Sanitizer sucked into fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbrein1

Reaction score
I have a stainless conical fermenter, with the L hose barb on the lid that has a hose that drops down into a bucket of sanitizer, which is used as my airlock. Last night when I was getting the fermenter ready to bottle I moved the hose and it acted like a vacuum and sucked some liquid (I presume sanitizer) up the hose and dumped it into my fermenter. I use Star San, which was properly diluted in water. Is this batch toast? Or do I have a chance to save it.

You are fine. It will act as a nutrient. If you have your blowoff tube in the liquid as the wort cools, it will suck it up into the beer. This happened to me around 6 weeks ago with a lager I was dropping down to cold pitch. The wort part is that the jar I was using to put the blow off tube in was from a previous brew that was around two months old. Everything turned out fine.

You will be fine. I had this happen as well when cold crashing a brown ale. I had half a gallon worth of starsan get pulled into my fermenter (lesson learned; put on an airlock before cold crashing). Since the temps were so low during the cold crash (34-35) the starsan just sat ontop of the carboy floating above the beer. Just racked down from the bottom and all was well. Your fine, cheers!

I have to ask, there was always a chance it could get sucked in. You have it in there to avoid sucking air. So having made the decision to use it for that exact purpose, why are you freaking out now that it happened?

You may as well use gasoline and say "well I never actually wanted the gas in there"

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

Back