Sanitizer in my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtichota

Reaction score
I was planning on making a Czech Pilsner this weekend, but I may have run into a little snag...I made 1.5qt starter two days ago, but after 8 hours it was bubbling through the airlock. I had never seen this before, but quickly installed a blowoff tube into a vessel of sanitizer (starsan). This morning I put both the starter and the sanitizer vessel in the fridge to cold crash. After work this evening I checked on it, and noticed that the starter vessel was completely full and the sanitizer was nearly empty. It seems that I started a siphon into my starter. I decanted the sanitizer and some of the wort off (they were pretty defined layers), put in some more starter wort, threw it back on the stir-plate, and wrapped it in a heating blanket.

You guys think any of the yeasties are still alive? or am I up a creek? Either way I'll probably find out tomorrow morning

You'll know in the morning, I think. But, one thing in your favor is that the sanitizer probably didn't go in there all at once so that might help.

Next time, don't use a blowoff on your starter. Or an airlock. No need. Just put some sanitized foil over it.

Only problem with that is that it would have bubbled out past the foil. Has anyone ever gotten krazen on a starter? I had never even heard of it, but the blowoff tube was filling up with foam.

Back