San Diego Visitor’s Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are heading out to Stone Escondido, Port/Lost Abbey, Toolbox, and Churchills right now. I think the plan is to do the Miramar area tomorrow and North Park on Thursday.

Anyone have a recommendation for really good sushi? We have a craving for some top notch fish.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

That's very brave of you in this weather. Toolbox is closed on Tuesdays though. Check out the Mother Earth Tap House in downtown Vista instead and get some Beer 4 Breakfast.

Farnsworth – apologies for how shitty we all drive in this weather. We’re not used to seeing water falling from the sky.
I'd say this is different though. There are reports of Mission Valley parking lots flooded up to the car windows, and my girlfriend literally could down drive through Balboa Ave because of waist-high water.

Man I love the rain in SD. It's always a ****ing catastrophe.

11917931_305929069530792_1750680195_n.jpg

And you all say Point Loma has bad traffic. No problem getting home for me. I even headed out at 5:30 to pick up some dinner.

Though I did learn an interesting fact about the rain in San Diego. Apparently when it rains here, turn signals no longer function properly.

Though I did learn an interesting fact about the rain in San Diego. Apparently when it rains here, turn signals no longer function properly.

I saw plenty of these, from ppl that were using the inside shoulder lane off the 805/5S split on the 805 side to exit mira mesa. If a cop was sitting there he could have made bank.

Farnsworth – apologies for how shitty we all drive in this weather. We’re not used to seeing water falling from the sky.
HA.
We've either had really good uber drivers or were too drunk to notice... Or both.
We had one awesome driver who drove us to 3 other breweries after we goofed and realized toolbox isn't open on Tuesdays. Ended up at Barrel Harbor... it was bad... we were sad. Churchill's made it all better though.

HA.
We've either had really good uber drivers or were too drunk to notice... Or both.
We had one awesome driver who drove us to 3 other breweries after we goofed and realized toolbox isn't open on Tuesdays. Ended up at Barrel Harbor... it was bad... we were sad. Churchill's made it all better though.

Yeah you didn't see my post in time then. Booze Brothers would have been a better choice. They have an awesome tasting room.

Also for those of you from out of town, Vista brewery tasting rooms cannot open until 3pm. This is NOT the case with brewpubs and tap houses.

Last edited:
Yeah you didn't see my post in time then. Booze Brothers wouldn't have been a better choice. They have an awesome tasting room.

Also for those of you from out of town, Vista brewery tasting rooms cannot open until 3pm. This is NOT the case with brewpubs and tap houses.
Ah, yeah, wish I had seen your message sooner. We still had a great night and I think we are going to try and hit toolbox Friday.

HA.

Churchill's makes everything better.

Mourning the fact that I'm not at FWIBF this weekend and heading to San Diego tomorrow morning with a couple beer friends who haven't been and/or don't get to go often.

Here's the proposed itinerary. Let me know if you'll be in the area--would love to meet up with some local beer fans:

· Best Damn Beer Shop
· Stone Liberty Station (poke tacos!)
· Bottlecraft Liberty Station
· Modern Times Lomaland
· Alesmith
· Mikkeller
· Green Flash Cellar 3
· Holiday Wine Cellar
· Toolbox
· Pizza Port Carlsbad
· Pizza Port Bottle Shop

Maybes depending on time:
· Port/Lost Abbey
· Rip Current
· Belching Beaver Vista

Cheers!

Mourning the fact that I'm not at FWIBF this weekend and heading to San Diego tomorrow morning with a couple beer friends who haven't been and/or don't get to go often.

Here's the proposed itinerary. Let me know if you'll be in the area--would love to meet up with some local beer fans:

· Best Damn Beer Shop
· Stone Liberty Station (poke tacos!)
· Bottlecraft Liberty Station
· Modern Times Lomaland
· Alesmith
· Mikkeller
· Green Flash Cellar 3
· Holiday Wine Cellar

· Toolbox
· Pizza Port Carlsbad
· Pizza Port Bottle Shop

Maybes depending on time:
· Port/Lost Abbey
· Rip Current
· Belching Beaver Vista

Cheers!
I would skip the bolded. BDBS has some pretty shitty practices, Cellar 3 beers suck (and they're waaaay out of the way), and Holiday Wine Cellar is kind of unnecessary. Toolbox is kind of a maybe too, especially with everything else on that list.

Is there a reason why you want to check out so many bottle shops? Their selection isn't any better than Bottlecraft, Bine and Vine, or any of the other bottle shops around. If you're looking for any SD-specific beers, chances are they all have them.

Also, if you're at Alesmith/Mikkeller, you might as well take the five minute drive down to Kearny Mesa and check out Societe.

Honestly, I would skip the North County contingent of that altogether and just check out North Park - or even Little Italy, as that's pretty damned close to Liberty Station.

Additionally, not sure how early you're heading down, but tomorrow is the Rock n Roll Marathon, which means there may be road/freeway exit closures once you hit San Diego proper. Check this page out for more info.

Sage you should add that ultra ramen place by your work that keeps blowing up more and more and pissing you off proportionally so :p
Dude.
Ramen: Nishiki for black garlic ramen, Santouka for toroniku (pig jowl) ramen, Menya for ajitama (though they’re still in a very busy Grand Opening phase – get there at opening or don’t bother at all).

Sage you should add that ultra ramen place by your work that keeps blowing up more and more and pissing you off proportionally so :p

At this point I wouldn't be shocked if Bourdain visited tbh
Pretty sure Andrew Zimmern was just there to shoot his new show

I forget what a good resource this is. Minor update suggestions.

Modern Times Encinitas

Mother Earth closed the taproom at the brewery, so there's only the downtown location.

Does Rouleur make the cut?

Bar sin Nombre?

Haven't been to 3 Punks, but have heard good things. If their inclusion gets seconded maybe that's critical mass for a Chula Vista section.

Back