San Diego Visitor’s Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha...I was only decent but very rarely bought a round (trip 19s always clutch, plus the ability to still do the maths after many beers helps). Course I am making up for that now by usually buying the first, especially with ppl I have never met. It helps my lack of social interaction skills with liquid confidence in my hand. =P

I don't know, Game 7 is Saturday now. Changes things.
PPOB has TVs

Speaking of this, my friends are going to want to watch NBA finals on Tuesday night while visiting. Any preference on places with TVs/possibly sports vibe and good beer? We might be in the gaslamp or South Park area (but I can direct elsewhere and change up itinerary if that's better). Neighborhood? Monkey Paw? Hamilton's?

Monkey Paw is a good place to watch sports. More TV's than any of those other places, great beer, awesome cheesesteaks.

Who wants to bomb me with fresh cans from Pizza Port ? I'll return the favor and then some !!

fine san diego denizens: if you were to pick an area to stay in, which would it be? notes: not a beer focused-trip, traveling with the wife, will have a car, 6 day trip. any recommendations also appreciated.

fine san diego denizens: if you were to pick an area to stay in, which would it be? notes: not a beer focused-trip, traveling with the wife, will have a car, 6 day trip. any recommendations also appreciated.
If you have a car, does it matter where you stay?

Mission Valley is central, lots of hotels. Mission Bay would be very scenic, can walk around the beach.

If you have a car, does it matter where you stay?

Mission Valley is central, lots of hotels. Mission Bay would be very scenic, can walk around the beach.
i do not know the answer to that question. is traffic/parking not an issue? if that's the case then i'll probably just try to get best bang for my buck.

i do not know the answer to that question. is traffic/parking not an issue? if that's the case then i'll probably just try to get best bang for my buck.
Traffic during rush hour is going to suck, sure. SD is very spread out and public transportation is abysmal. You'll need a car if you plan on exploring. That being said, if you do want to ditch the car and explore near your hotel, Mission Bay (Bahia?) would be fun.

You could also consider the Lafayette in North Park. Great restaurants, craft beer bars etc in that area. Near the zoo and Balboa Park too.

Carlsbad might offer an "away from the city" vibe that they like. A lot of people pick the Gaslamp, and though I wouldn't advise it, that is always an option.

You aren't going to get a good singular answer here. If you can settle on two or three options, you could post them here and we will compare and contrast for you (because criticizing is so much easier than giving advice LOL).

Carlsbad might offer an "away from the city" vibe that they like. A lot of people pick the Gaslamp, and though I wouldn't advise it, that is always an option.

You aren't going to get a good singular answer here. If you can settle on two or three options, you could post them here and we will compare and contrast for you (because criticizing is so much easier than giving advice LOL).
the airbnbs we are looking at currently are in ocean beach, north park, mission hill, and old town. leaning toward that over an actual hotel to not pay for parking and because we'll likely spend little time there anyways. lafayette did look pretty good tho as another option.

the airbnbs we are looking at currently are in ocean beach, north park, mission hill, and old town. leaning toward that over an actual hotel to not pay for parking and because we'll likely spend little time there anyways. lafayette did look pretty good tho as another option.

AirBnb in North Park FTW.

Was there something in particular you were looking to do most of here? Since it's not a beer-centric trip, is it something else centric? If you were looking more something beach-centric and relaxing then I'd say Ocean Beach or maybe something north on the coast would be best. If you want a little bit of everything (beach, zoo, beer, food, etc) then Mission Hills/Hillcrest/North Park would be best. Mission Valley is convenient to get around and cheap but it sucks.

Was there something in particular you were looking to do most of here? Since it's not a beer-centric trip, is it something else centric? If you were looking more something beach-centric and relaxing then I'd say Ocean Beach or maybe something north on the coast would be best. If you want a little bit of everything (beach, zoo, beer, food, etc) then Mission Hills/Hillcrest/North Park would be best. Mission Valley is convenient to get around and cheap but it sucks.
definitely the little bit of everything route, for sure the zoo and probably some hiking and a lot of food. north park seems like the definite winner, lots of things to choose from as well. thanks everyone!

they still have cable car for in house consumption at Toronado SD? Never been there before, was thinking of dropping by while in town for work.

they still have cable car for in house consumption at Toronado SD? Never been there before, was thinking of dropping by while in town for work.

Have not seen anybody post they were drinking a bottle in quite some time. I would not be surprised if there are still bottles but they tend to say no more often than not.

Have not seen anybody post they were drinking a bottle in quite some time. I would not be surprised if there are still bottles but they tend to say no more often than not.
:( maybe i'll give em a call on the drive down today

Hey San Diegons, I will be in San Diego tomorrow (4th) until Saturday (9th) with omgrr and a couple other friends. Are there any local events or tappings that we should know about?

Hey San Diegons, I will be in San Diego tomorrow (4th) until Saturday (9th) with omgrr and a couple other friends. Are there any local events or tappings that we should know about?
Exponential Hoppiness release at Alpine was today. From what I gather, there are still plenty of bottles left. Limit 4.

You'll probably get more responses in the San Diego thread.

Exponential Hoppiness release at Alpine was today. From what I gather, there are still plenty of bottles left. Limit 4.

You'll probably get more responses in the San Diego thread.
Ooooo, awesome! Thanks for the heads up.
We will need a place to go after our flight before we can check in to our airbnb, so that might be the perfect place to stop.

I'll post in the SD thread and see if anyone else has some other tips.

Ooooo, awesome! Thanks for the heads up.
We will need a place to go after our flight before we can check in to our airbnb, so that might be the perfect place to stop.

I'll post in the SD thread and see if anyone else has some other tips.
Unfortunately they're not open on Mondays :\

Plenty of other places to check out in the meantime, however!

Unfortunately they're not open on Mondays :\

Plenty of other places to check out in the meantime, however!
They're not? Their website says they are.
I guess we'll give them a call before we head over tomorrow. But yeah, I dont think we would be short on an alternative option!

Edit:
Ah... the pub is open, brewery isnt.
Is the pub worth the drive? We aren't concerned with getting bottles, just mainly interested in tap goodness.

Last edited:
They're not? Their website says they are.
I guess we'll give them a call before we head over tomorrow. But yeah, I dont think we would be short on an alternative option!

Edit:
Ah... the pub is open, brewery isnt.
Is the pub worth the drive? We aren't concerned with getting bottles, just mainly interested in tap goodness.
Pub is def worth it. Some say the food isn't as good as when it was at the brewery, but we were just there and it was just as great. The fried green beans are addicting as ****, and I think they might still have Great and Expo on tap, along with all the other specialties. Protip: don't get pints of their OG lineup, and try some of their most recent specialty stuff like Hop Boxed (think Duet but with Citra and Mosaic) and Singled Out (Galaxy single hop) - it easily rivals the original, Alpine-brewed goodness.

Pub is def worth it. Some say the food isn't as good as when it was at the brewery, but we were just there and it was just as great. The fried green beans are addicting as ****, and I think they might still have Great and Expo on tap, along with all the other specialties. Protip: don't get pints of their OG lineup, and try some of their most recent specialty stuff like Hop Boxed (think Duet but with Citra and Mosaic) and Singled Out (Galaxy single hop) - it easily rivals the original, Alpine-brewed goodness.
Fried green beans, here I come!!

Is their OG lineup (Duet, Nelson, etc.) fairly easy to find on taps around town? It would be nice to get a comparison to the Green Flash versions we get here in Chicago (which I enjoy quite a bit), since everyone says its crap compared the real Alpine stuff. In any case, I'll for sure take your advice on the specialty stuff.

Damn, if they still have Great AND Expo on tap.... my goodness...

Fried green beans, here I come!!

Is their OG lineup (Duet, Nelson, etc.) fairly easy to find on taps around town? It would be nice to get a comparison to the Green Flash versions we get here in Chicago (which I enjoy quite a bit), since everyone says its crap compared the real Alpine stuff. In any case, I'll for sure take your advice on the specialty stuff.

Damn, if they still have Great AND Expo on tap.... my goodness...

What you get on tap in Chicago is what we get here. Nelson, Duet, Pure Hoppiness, and Hoppy Birthday are all GF brewed. So when you see them around town and at the pub and even the alpine brewery, it is all from GF.

Stick to the one-offs, you won't be disappointed.

What you get on tap in Chicago is what we get here. Nelson, Duet, Pure Hoppiness, and Hoppy Birthday are all GF brewed. So when you see them around town and at the pub and even the alpine brewery, it is all from GF.

Well then, I will certainly be sticking to the one offs in that case.
Thanks for the info!

Yeah, they haven't come outright and said it, but just based on bottles and drafts, it's a good bet that they've shifted production of the original lineup entirely to GF. That's probably why we're seeing a lot more one-off stuff from Alpine proper too.

BTW, your bump reminded me that I hadn’t updated the first post in a while, so now I have.

Yeah, they haven't come outright and said it, but just based on bottles and drafts, it's a good bet that they've shifted production of the original lineup entirely to GF. That's probably why we're seeing a lot more one-off stuff from Alpine proper too.

You should also be safe at least with a taster or a splash of the original lineup (sans Hoppy Birthday). I think the biggest factor now is freshness. Nelson, Duet, and Pure Hop are like 85-90% of what they used to be at their peak. They seemed to have addressed the weird bitter finish but the up front brightness that we all came to love isn't there anymore.

But yeah at the end of the day, drink the new ones. HFS, Hop Boxed, Singled Out, Ryder on the Storm, Expo, SD Surprise, Pub Cat, Odin's (Nitro is pretty awesome) and maybe a couple of the non hoppy offerings are all brewed in Alpine. I think Alpine Ale and Captains are GF brewed.

This was the board yesterday. Wouldn't expect much change.

That Mesa Verde is totally under the radar if you like beer/wine hybrids. So gewd.

BTW, your bump reminded me that I hadn’t updated the first post in a while, so now I have.
Awesome. Looking through the changes now.
You should also be safe at least with a taster or a splash of the original lineup (sans Hoppy Birthday). I think the biggest factor now is freshness. Nelson, Duet, and Pure Hop are like 85-90% of what they used to be at their peak. They seemed to have addressed the weird bitter finish but the up front brightness that we all came to love isn't there anymore.

But yeah at the end of the day, drink the new ones. HFS, Hop Boxed, Singled Out, Ryder on the Storm, Expo, SD Surprise, Pub Cat, Odin's (Nitro is pretty awesome) and maybe a couple of the non hoppy offerings are all brewed in Alpine. I think Alpine Ale and Captains are GF brewed.

This was the board yesterday. Wouldn't expect much change.

That Mesa Verde is totally under the radar if you like beer/wine hybrids. So gewd.

Yeah, Alpine yesterday was a perfect start to the trip. Not crowded, great beer/food and the staff there was awesome!
Some notes:
-Expo and Duet were disappointing
-HFS, Pub Cat, and Nitro Odin were all wonderful
-Hop Boxed and Nelson (haven't had it before) were fantastic!
-Fried green beans were the kitties titties, but I think we went a little overboard with 4 orders of them...

We are heading out to Stone Escondido, Port/Lost Abbey, Toolbox, and Churchills right now. I think the plan is to do the Miramar area tomorrow and North Park on Thursday.

Anyone have a recommendation for really good sushi? We have a craving for some top notch fish.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Last edited:
Back