San Diego Visitor’s Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Palace of Cracked Heads > Oracle of the Bottle

All three fruited sours were great, but I thought the peach and nectarine ones were better than the grape one. The base beers were also solid, but not good enough to justify the pricepoint.
...and I found the Nectarine to be better than the peach.
This really destroys my argument that any retard can add peaches to beer and it's a Triple A OMG Wale bruh.

...and I found the Nectarine to be better than the peach.
This really destroys my argument that any retard can add peaches to beer and it's a Triple A OMG Wale bruh.

I haven't tried nectarine yet, but I actually thought grape was better than peach.

Hey guys, how updated is this guide? Heading to San Diego for almost a week next month (June 16-21) with some college friends and have some planning power.

I don't see a section for the airport. I know Stone is in there, and some other beer bars too, but I'm light on details. Recommendations for my 3.5 hour layover tomorrow?

I don't see a section for the airport. I know Stone is in there, and some other beer bars too, but I'm light on details. Recommendations for my 3.5 hour layover tomorrow?
If you're in the first few gates of Terminal 1, Craft Brews on 30th St (it's past security and terminal 1 has multiple gate areas that aren't connected and serviced by different security checkpoints). If you're in Terminal 2, Stone. If you're in another part of Terminal 1, there's no specific craft choice.

or even San Diego Metro Bus (route 992 http://www.sdmts.com/mtscr/Route.aspx?r=992).
Don't take the bus. Our public transit is lacking to begin with but service is so reduced on holidays that it's not worth thinking about if you have any sort of time limit. Uber to Little Italy if you want to leave the airport and hit Ballast Point and Bottlecraft on the same block. Otherwise, hope you end up in Terminal 2 for Stone. Which airline are you flying?

Don't want to deal with car rental in such a short timeframe.

This might be thinking outside of the box, since I haven't heard it recommended before and not something I do living here, but walking across the street to Harbor island drive puts you on one of the nicest strolls in the city overlooking the bay. There's a couple restaurants there, I can't really comment on them since only been a couple times and they are always changing.

Also, there are a couple Marinas along the way, each one has a deli and a supply store connected, should have a decent supply of beer there in those for all the boaters coming and going. My buddy has a spearfishing shop next to the Charcoal house restaurant which is one of the best in the country called James and Joesph, worth a look even if not into the sport as he has on display artifacts from one of the first dive clubs, the Bottom Scratchers from the 1930's.
A sixer of 394 and a park bench watching the boats come and go sounds pretty good as long as it's not too windy.
image.jpg1_zpspipzpuqw.jpg

Last edited:
This might be thinking outside of the box, since I haven't heard it recommended before and not something I do living here, but walking across the street to Harbor island drive puts you on one of the nicest strolls in the city overlooking the bay. There's a couple restaurants there, I can't really comment on them since only been a couple times and they are always changing.
Not a bad recommendation overall, but considering Arbitrator lives in the Bay Area, he's probably not lacking for nice bayfront strolls (or the opportunity to take them, anyway...I can't speak to how he spends his free time, but I like to imagine he sits down on an empty pier late at night to write dark, hateful poetry about Black Xantus). I'd take a walk around the Ferry Building in San Francisco over a walk around Harbor Island any day of the week. If he's looking to kill time, he may as well do it with San Diego beer, preferably something he can't get at home.

Not a bad recommendation overall, but considering Arbitrator lives in the Bay Area, he's probably not lacking for nice bayfront strolls (or the opportunity to take them, anyway...I can't speak to how he spends his free time, but I like to imagine he sits down on an empty pier late at night to write dark, hateful poetry about Black Xantus). I'd take a walk around the Ferry Building in San Francisco over a walk around Harbor Island any day of the week. If he's looking to kill time, he may as well do it with San Diego beer, preferably something he can't get at home.

It's too bad that Fathom is on Shelter Island and not Harbor

I'll be headed out to SD this weekend. Hoping to hit Alpine (brewery or pub?), Council, Societe, Modern Times, and Toronado. Might try to fit in one of the Ballast Points and Pizza Ports.

Super excited to try beers from all these guys!

Also, there are a couple Marinas along the way, each one has a deli and a supply store connected, should have a decent supply of beer there in those for all the boaters coming and going. My buddy has a spearfishing shop next to the Charcoal house restaurant which is one of the best in the country called James and Joesph, worth a look even if not into the sport as he has on display artifacts from one of the first dive clubs, the Bottom Scratchers from the 1930's.
A sixer of 394 and a park bench watching the boats come and go sounds pretty good as long as it's not too windy.
image.jpg1_zpspipzpuqw.jpg

This is a great suggestion for the spirit of this thread, though it didn't quite apply to me yesterday (flight delays + connection issues). Thanks!

What did you end up doing?

My flight out of NOLA was stuck on the runway for 3 hours, plus 4 hours travel time, and I'm coming down with something. So I was wiped to start with. I arrived at Terminal 1 (downstairs), secured a ticket for a new connection, ordered a beer at Craft Beers on 30th Street and... was promptly shuttled upstairs (new security zone). I debated going back down, but didn't want to deal with security again.

I had a Green Flash East Village at the Bankers Hill (?) upstairs in Terminal 1, a burger at The Counter, and watched a ****-ton of Justified on my Kindle.

I fail at San Diego.

This is a great suggestion for the spirit of this thread, though it didn't quite apply to me yesterday (flight delays + connection issues). Thanks!

I was gonna say 3.5 hours on a Monday holiday. ****, I woulda picked you up for a quick trip somewhere nearby...but that woulda required a car :eek:. See you this weekend :)

My flight out of NOLA was stuck on the runway for 3 hours, plus 4 hours travel time, and I'm coming down with something. So I was wiped to start with. I arrived at Terminal 1 (downstairs), secured a ticket for a new connection, ordered a beer at Craft Beers on 30th Street and... was promptly shuttled upstairs (new security zone). I debated going back down, but didn't want to deal with security again.

I had a Green Flash East Village at the Bankers Hill (?) upstairs in Terminal 1, a burger at The Counter, and watched a ****-ton of Justified on my Kindle.

I fail at San Diego.

Banker's Hill - that's the place. I knew somebody up there had a few things on tap.

You don't fail at San Diego, you fail at Lindbergh Field. As do most people in general, and unless you get a hell of a price break there is no earthly reason to do a short layover there. At least Terminal 2 now has functionality that might be considered 20th century.

Banker's Hill - that's the place. I knew somebody up there had a few things on tap.

You don't fail at San Diego, you fail at Lindbergh Field. As do most people in general, and unless you get a hell of a price break there is no earthly reason to do a short layover there. At least Terminal 2 now has functionality that might be considered 20th century.
Terminal 2 is great. I know people like to hate on Phils, but I like their BBQ. And Stone always has like 10 things on tap, including 2-3 that rotate pretty frequently (enough that when I stop by there every 2-3 months it's something new). It's clean, there are power plugs, security is usually pretty brief (though TSA Pre is hit or miss). I'd fly out of there over most other United terminals...

Yeah Terminal 1 isn't great. Banker's hill usually has a selection of Modem Tones. I always fly Southwest, so Terminal 2 is pretty rare for me. If other airlines flew cheaper to Portland then I mean, yeah.

Speaking of events occuring while someone is visiting San Diego...
https://sandiegobeerfestival.com/at-the-festival/breweries

Yay or nay? Good chance to hit a bunch of breweries that don't come to the East Coast in one fell swoop or total waste of time and $60.

I have never gone. It looks like a cluster**** and imagine the beer won't be as exciting as visiting the breweries themselves. But the plus side is trying a bunch of stuff in one place. If you don't go crazy you can use it as a launching board on figuring out which places you want to visit and spend more time at.

Is Culture Brewing any good? I'll be staying around the Ocean Beach location and the tap list looks pretty tasty.

Is Culture Brewing any good? I'll be staying around the Ocean Beach location and the tap list looks pretty tasty.

They are decent and will be a quick and easy stop if you are in the area. My favorite places in OB are:

Pizza Port
Newport Pizza
Raglan
OB Noodle House (two locations, one is closer to Raglan and the main strip in OB)

I live really close to OB, about a 5-10min bike ride, let me know if you want to meet up for a beer. I am hoping to make it to PPOB at some point this weekend, just not sure when. I know there will be some other SD TBers going too (Sage).

They are decent and will be a quick and easy stop if you are in the area. My favorite places in OB are:

Pizza Port
Newport Pizza
Raglan
OB Noodle House (two locations, one is closer to Raglan and the main strip in OB)

I live really close to OB, about a 5-10min bike ride, let me know if you want to meet up for a beer. I am hoping to make it to PPOB at some point this weekend, just not sure when. I know there will be some other SD TBers going too (Sage).

I thought we were having a bottle share at your place Saturday? :D

I thought we were having a bottle share at your place Saturday? :D

I have been so busy and forgetful lately I cannot remember if you are serious or joking.

Have an event to go with the wife in the afternoon...but evening might be open

Real darts or the fake plastic tips that bars use to have and then somehow got rid of every dart board ever so I can no longer settle the "who buys the next round?" arguments with a game of 301?

Real darts or the fake plastic tips that bars use to have and then somehow got rid of every dart board ever so I can no longer settle the "who buys the next round?" arguments with a game of 301?

Real darts... but you sound too good so I would be buying every round...good thing I have home brew on tap

Latest posts

Back