Same flavor different beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerveceria

Reaction score
I have been brewing for around a year now and I've begun to notice that much of my beer tastes the same. There are still differences but I nearly always receive a slight yeasty after flavor. This is surprising because I filter my beer as I keg it so there is practically no sediment.

Could anyone help point out the error in my ways?

As an FYI I primarily do extract and partial mash though I have the capabilities to do all grain. I also keg my brews.

If you filter then it's likely not a yeasty flavor. Anything else you can tell us about your setup/process?

I use a a bottling bucket as my fermentation vessel. My OG and FG are almost always around where they should be. The only thing I can think of is that it takes a while to chill my wort before fermentation. I've just built a wort chiller so I can test that next batch. Maybe I'm overly critical. The more I sample my beer the less I taste it haha.

Do you use a siphon to transfer?

I seem to potentially have a similar issue and I am wondering if it's oxidation as I notice aeration at the end of siphoning often enough. It's stated as a wet cardboard flavor, though I don't view it as such, but it may be a mix of flavors that hides this flavor I'm guessing. I almost call it an odd yeasty taste, but it's different. I cannot explain it well enough.

It may be oxidation or fermentation problem. Get other people's opinions. A lot of times I am just overly critical of my brews even when I get positive feedback from the ones I've shared. Find some friends with some beer knowledge and a decent palate and see what they get. I'd be glad to help you out, just ship me some :D

Thank you everyone for the replies. I use the spigot from my fermentation bucket to transfer into my keg. However, I do hook up tubing to the keg so it's filling from the bottom up. I then apply C02 immediately after.

I'm thinking that it may have to do with pitching too hot. I'm going to make this same batch of beer again next weekend and use the wort chiller. I'll also pay closer attention to how I transfer it to the keg this time. I'll let you know what comes of things.

PS. I'm amazed at this forum more and more each day. Such great info and support.

Cheers!

I forgot to mention that the off taste generally isn't present at first. It seems to take a few weeks after it has matured (~4 weeks).

Back