Salvaging a Brown Ale (8 months old)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Know

Reaction score
I have a brown ale that's been sitting at a pretty constant 65-70F for the past 8 months. Thought to myself, why not, I'll bottle it tomorrow just for kicks/curiosity. Anyone know of anyway that I could improve the taste of the beer since as far as I know it shouldn't be that great after 8 months in primary.

Any help to rejuvenate the batch would be appreciated :fro:

How do you "know" it shouldn't be all that great after 8 months. People have left their beers in primary for a year and they've been fine. I've left beers 6 months or more, and there were no issues. It's not like an IPA where there's a riak that hop presence would fade. You may actually find that it is one of the best beers you've taste.

Don't assume a beer's going to be bad. Many beers actually improve with some aging. The only think you may want to cosider doing is add some fresh yeast at bottlling, since most of it has dropped out. In fact it's probably going to be one of the clearest beers you've ever brewed.

Awesome news. I don't know why, just assumed it would be crappy being a lower ABV.

I do also have an 8 month old Pale Ale too where the hop quality may have faded. Suggestions on returning that flavor? Add hops at bottling? Add hops and wait a little longer to bottle?

Revvy with a multitude of spelling errors. He must be drinking : ban: :rockin:

Seriously though, listen to revvy, he knows his stuff.

3 is a "multitude?" We may have been giving Jesus too much credit on the loaves and fishes thing...

Awesome news. I don't know why, just assumed it would be crappy being a lower ABV.

I do also have an 8 month old Pale Ale too where the hop quality may have faded. Suggestions on returning that flavor? Add hops at bottling? Add hops and wait a little longer to bottle?

:confused:

With the pale ale, you could try dry hopping it for a week to return some of the hop aroma.

Back