Saison recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mneilson

Reaction score
Planning on brewing my first saison soon, and I'd like a little feedback on a recipe

80% pilsner
11% Vienna
3% each of flaked rye, wheat, and oats
Mash at 149F for 90 minutes

90 minute boil
22.5 IBU of Hallertauer @60 minutes
2.5 IBU of EKG @5 minutes

White Labs Saison II (WLP566) or Danstar Belle Saison
Pitch yeast at 68F, and let free rise where it may

Thoughts?

Looks good. I like to add a bit of sugar to my saisons because I like them dry. Last one I did was 8lb pilsner malt, 2lb rye malt, 1lb agave nectar. Used wyeast 3711 and it can out great

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Dont let it rise on its own, temp control is still needed even though these ferment warmer. I would also consider using a half pound to a pound of acidulated malt to make it truer to style.

Looks good. I like to add a bit of sugar to my saisons because I like them dry. Last one I did was 8lb pilsner malt, 2lb rye malt, 1lb agave nectar. Used wyeast 3711 and it came out great. Your ibu range looks spot on. I'm a fan of saaz in a saison, I find it compliments the spicy character nicely. I'm sure goldings and hallertau will be lovely too

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah, I was considering adding a little bit of sugar as well (about 2oz per gallon) to help with the dry finish. I can temp control (at least on the cooling end, no heat yet)...what should I try to keep it under?

I will probably leave out the sauermalz on this one: I'm working on a clone of Saison du Swamp for my wife, and it's not on their grain list.

Your recipe does look good. Go with it.

I just did a saison similar to yours. Let it primary for a month at about 75 degrees with wy3711.

Letting it carb up right now in keg but stole a sample or two. Had some major saison funk to it. It was my first one also, so I wish you luck.

That 3711 really is a beast. Reduced my OG from 1.050 to 1.002ish

Planning on brewing my first saison soon, and I'd like a little feedback on a recipe

80% pilsner
11% Vienna
3% each of flaked rye, wheat, and oats
Mash at 149F for 90 minutes

90 minute boil
22.5 IBU of Hallertauer @60 minutes
2.5 IBU of EKG @5 minutes

White Labs Saison II (WLP566) or Danstar Belle Saison
Pitch yeast at 68F, and let free rise where it may

Thoughts?

Well, Sir, it is almost impossible to critique a Saison recipe. They used what they had. But one thing stood out, The yeast. I have made a pilsner and a saison from the same split run, just by using different yeasts. With a saison, it is all in the yeast and temperature control. Search "saison" or cottage saison for further help. cheers.

i brew saison quite a bit as well as read a lot about the style, including the historical aspects of it. you're recipe looks great and the only things i would recommend considering are:

- temp control the first couple days during growth, then let free rise as it wants for the most part but i shoot for about 2-3 degrees per day increase up to the upper 80's no problem

- acid malt, but not so much for flavor but for the mash Ph. this is a lighter style and if you have moderately hard water your ph will be a bit too high and likely lead to some astringency

-like any beer, healthy starter and O2

your recipe, fermentation plan, and 90 min boil are all inline with making a good saison, let us know how it turns out.

Back