Saison fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stirlingtrent

Reaction score
New guy here, I did my first all grain batch last night, BIAB style. Saison, using White Labs Belgian Saison WLP 565. It's been fermenting steadily for 12 hours, lots of good internal movement and crusty grimy foam on top.

It's running above 75º in the carboy, based on the sticky thermometer, although the room temp is right around 70-71º. I know it's normal for the fermentation to run a little warmer, but should I let it continue at that temperature, or is it too warm? Should I do a water bath to bring it closer to room temp?

Thanks for any comments!

I posted an identical question a few weeks ago. The consensus seemed to be to pitch the yeast around 68-72ish, hold for a week at ambient temp, then let it go where it wants in a warmer area. Someone suggested holding at ambient for only a day then letting the temps ramp up.

I'm brewing a Saison myself here soon and will probably have to put it in a swamp cooler/water bath, for about week and a half then throw it in my garage or attic to ferment out completely. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Thanks for the info. What if it's too late to start at the 68-72 range, since it's been going for the first 14 hours at the higher temp? I don't know if I should just keep it going, or risk bringing it down a bit...

I just got done with a lemon saison that I had running at pretty much the same temp as you. I don't notice any off tastes in it, and if introduced in a minimal way, I would think that a bit of esters could work with the style.

I don't see any issue with the way you started it. Just let it do it's thing. If the yeast starts to crap out on you and you want a drier finish in your Saison, bring the temps up higher. Saison yeasts can handle some high temps. At the same time though, the yeasts can be fickle and not finish out properly unless the temps are raised. Good luck.

Back