Safale US04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayjm

Reaction score
I brewed a chocolate porter on 12/23 that has fermented from about 1.074 down to about 1.022 as of today (New year's day). I used Safale US-04. When I opened the fermenter today, everything looked good, but I did not see the resinous yeasty ring around the inside of the fermenter that I am used to seeing with other ale yeasts. This is my first time using US-04 and I know it is very flocculant and tends to drop pretty quickly--is the "clean" look inside my fermenter normal with this yeast? BTW, the porter tastes good, but is still young and I can really smell and taste the alcohol at this point. My mash temp was pretty high (~156), so I'm expecting the FG to be in the 1.020 range. Thanks and Happy New Year. Happy Brewing.

What temp did you run the S04? I have a 70 point IPA pretty much at the end of primary that burped foam down the blow off at its peak and left dried krusty krausen all over the inside of the carboy. Ran it at a controlled/measured temperature of 65°F throughout...

Cheers!

I find that the ring you refer to tends to be a little less intense with SO4 than some others... but have never had it NOT be there. That being said, why worry? The only relevant factors are these: beer IS obviously fermenting and it tastes good. Nothing else matters. The only important thing is what hits the glass.

thanks--it wasn't a question out of worry, but of curiosity. It fermented in the 67 to 68 degree range. Things just looked so, well, nice, in the carboy when I opened it up. I'm used to it looking like at least a bit of a party has been going on in there. I was reassured by the attenuation, however. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back