First porter here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aechavar

Reaction score
Fellow Fellow Friends, planning on making my first porter on Friday. 1 gallon since im readily new.

Bestmalz Pilsner: 760 g
Bestmalz Chocolate 100 g
Nugget: 4 gr
Cascade 3 gr
Yeast Safale 04: 2,3 gr

It was recommedended to use two hops (nugged and Cascade) so I do not know the optimum time to and it to my Porter while bowling off. Some posts talk about nugget 60 min and Cascade 5 min.

What is your Point of View??

That doesn't strike me as a porter recipe... But that is OK, I am sure it will be a tasty beer.

You don't normally see pils malt, but it's fine if that's what you have available. I'd consider a little more dark malt types, maybe some brown? Keep it around 100g total, but maybe mix it up a little. I'd also add some crystal malt, in the medium / 60L range. EKG is a common hop, and I love the Wyeast 1968 ESB yeast or the similar A09 Pub or Omega versions of it.

Again though the recipe listed should make a decent beer. It says you are in Columbia, and so it might be that some ingredients are hard to find and you have to do what you can with what you have available.

That doesn't strike me as a porter recipe... But that is OK, I am sure it will be a tasty beer.

You don't normally see pils malt, but it's fine if that's what you have available. I'd consider a little more dark malt types, maybe some brown? Keep it around 100g total, but maybe mix it up a little. I'd also add some crystal malt, in the medium / 60L range. EKG is a common hop, and I love the Wyeast 1968 ESB yeast or the similar A09 Pub or Omega versions of it.

Again though the recipe listed should make a decent beer. It says you are in Columbia, and so it might be that some ingredients are hard to find and you have to do what you can with what you have available.
Yes, im in Colombia. That's right. Ingredients are hard to find, specially for me that Im new into beer making and I dont make bíg batches of beer. Currently im at a gallon range, once I master this quantity, it Will be time to scale up. I actually have a pretty decent dealer but it is Limited since he sells 1 kg mínimum of ingredients. Since my recipes are not that big, other poviders wont work for me.

Seeing as you are doing a small batch (1gal), I would consider using the Cascade hops for both bittering and flavoring. My reasoning is that I get hops in 1oz (28gram) bags. And hops start to spoil once opened. And the 60 minute addition is for bittering only. Also, I would adjust the 60 minute addition for Cascade to 8 grams to match the Nugget hops as Cascade has about half of the alpha acid of Nugget.
That way, you will use 11 grams of a 28 gram pack of hops and the leftover will be wasted, unless you can brew another batch soon.
I hope that makes sense to you.

And hops start to spoil once opened
True, but the rate is very slow when stored at 32F or 0F (see chart and article below).

If in doubt for aroma or flavor hop additions, open a fresh package. But for most bittering hops, they store pretty well, even in previously opened packages.

1702328885380.png

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/understanding-the-importance-of-the-hop-storage-index

Back