s-04 or US-05 for a Texas Brown Ale (Brown IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
I wonder if the S-04 would make the malt more present and gives the beer more character. Or if it's gonna kill the hops?

I find S04 to be a great yeast. It should leave the beer with a little more sweet and malty flavor then S05 will, and I love that yeast as well.

As to killing the hops? I don't think you have anything to worry about with either yeast killing your hop flavor or bitterness.

So4 will clear well, but fermented at above 66 degrees or so it gets oddly estery so keep that in mind.

S05 can have some 'peachy' esters when fermented below about 64 degrees, but it is much more "American" in character at a warmer temperature if that is a factor in your decision.

Mercan what?

US-05 is an american ale yeast. I personaly would go that route and ferment around 68 degrees for a clean fermentation. Ive made some great american browns in the past using that yeast. Another yeast you might want to consider is nottingham ale yeast by danstar - that is my go to yeast.

I've used both in brown ales and they both work great. S-04 will floc like mad and stick to the bottom of the fermenter. It's slightly more estery than US-05, which is an extremely clean yeast, flavor-wise. It doesn't floc as quickly as S-04, but will fall out well in time, especially once it goes into the fridge.

Back