Clean, Fast Ale Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At which temperature? Did you cold crash? I've never had any carbing issues with notti and I use it a lot. But I also almost always bottle after seven days.
Was winter time, fermented a little bit in the cold range, 12-15 C.
No cold crash, no gelatin, 20 days. Probably settled down too much. The cake was near solid, no kidding.

Was winter time, fermented a little bit in the cold range, 12-15 C.
No cold crash, no gelatin, 20 days. Probably settled down too much. The cake was near solid, no kidding.
OK, but you see that this is the extreme regarding settling conditions, right? You cannot reasonably ferment it lower than that and you left in the fermenter for almost three weeks at really low temperature. That's almost like a cold crash. Many English strains would make problems after that trying to carb naturally!

I did a black IPA with Kveik MJ's M12, fermentation ready in 2 days, dryhopped for 3 days and bottled after 5 days. Two weeks later I had a perfectly tasting black IPA and it didn't taste like Kveik, Kveik (depending on the strain) has a neutral flavor. Interesting articles: How to use Kveik
and Farmhouse yeast registry

1709312811697.png

1709312857915.png

Fermentation started at 32+ degrees celcius (90F) !

1709312956813.png

I also used Hornindal Kveik (Omega #OYL-091) in another IPA:
1709313487036.png

Cheers!

Last edited:
Not for long. Sulfur pretty much always ages out within a few weeks.

That's known, but I once got a sixer of Czech Bernard that had alotta sulfur, it really tripped my trigger as it seemed to accentuate the malt to new levels and seemed so organic tasting to the point that I went back for more! I've drank young lagers I made with the AROMA, but it wasn't like this in that it seemed part of the water maybe. Being Czech it had to last awhile before getting here. I really never thot I'd like it ingrained (so to speak) in a beer but so it seems I MISS that! Can't find Bernard since that ran out either anywhere here.

never had lag time as others with BRY97 (i do make starters). I prefer it over Nottingham. US-05 for me the yeast takes a longer time to drop out, i don't purchase it anymore.

of course, I think 007 english yeast makes a unique pale ale.

So Kveik is ideal and very clean, but Kveik is not clean and has a characteristic flavor that may ruin the ale. Another day on the Internet.

I think I'll go with S-04. It's dry and cheap, and it sounds like it will be fine.
used Kveik in a 40% wheat beer and I will say it is a very unique yeast. Not off putting but it definitely has its own flavor. I would say yeasty sort of sourish to my palate.

I have a packet of it and not sure what i will be making but might be doing a single high gravity malt fermented in the high temp range during summer.

Also with bottled beer? My experience is that once it is capped, the sulphur basically stays.

wOO Hoo! There's the ticket! I keg and the sulfur never stays. Now If I could figure out which Lager strain throws massive amounts that hangs around to FG, then I could bottle direct from the conical....
Or I could use S-04 at low temps (but I really would like a lager yeast that does this).

I had sulphur stick around for months in a bottled light Scottish ale. Golden Promise SMaSH with Tartan.
I know WLP028 and Wyeast 1728 (Tartan is probably the 1728) are bottom fermenters, similar to lagers, so if there's nowhere for that sulfur to escape in the krausen, it makes sense that it might stick around for a bit. That being said, I have used both the WLP028 and the 1728 (but not yet the Tartan) and did not experience significant sulfur after a couple weeks. Might be something else going on, or perhaps you are more sensitive to sulfur than I am.

Is there anything out there that has a profile like US-05 but ferments more vigorously and finishes faster? I make an ale with Abbaye, and I would like a cleaner version. Anything that will make a good IPA is fine.
Lutra Kveik. Very aggressive. In my Brewpub I am 5 days from brew day to kegging. Clean finish and had no problem with higher temps.

Back