S-04 & low(ish) temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridebreck

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I attempted to brew a Black Butte Porter clone based on the recipe derived on an episode of Can You Brew It. Brew day went well, with the exception that it was a cold day and I struggled (unsuccessfuly) to hit my target mash temp of 154. She was at 149 for about 30 minutes and I managed to raise it to 152 for the last 30.

Anywho...OG was 1.060 (target = 1.059), pitched a rehydrated pack of S-04 at ~162. This was my first time to use my newly-built Son Of Fermentation chiller. Temp was set at 164 and held steady through peak fermentation. However once the fermentation calmed down, the temp dropped to 161 and held steady. I was a bit concerned that the fermentation would stall. I took it out of the ferm chamber and moved it to my brew closet where temps were a bit warmer, and there it sat for 2.5 weeks until last night when I finally had the time to keg. To my surprise, my FG was 1.012 (target = 1.015).

I'm assuming that the lower mash temp contributed somewhat to the higher attennuation. Based on my tasting of the hydrometer sample, I'm calling this one "not cloned", but I'll hold out final judgement until she's carbed and conditioned for a bit. However, I just thought I would give some feedback for anyone who may be wondering/concerned about S-04's ability to ferment in the very low 60's. I fear that the lower temps may have suppressed the ester profile too much, but time will tell, I suppose.

You do not really mean that you fermented at 162F, do you? Surely you mean 62? Anywho, was your intended final gravity taking into account that you used the higher attenuating US-04 rather than the recommended WLP002? I suspect your lower final gravity is due to the lower mash temp and the use of US-04...

Oops:eek: Yes, those should read "62", "64", and "61" respectively. I had mash temps on the brain (as well as about 10 other things) when I typed it.

The 1.015 target was generated from Beersmith and did have S-04 plugged in, but I haven't checked the numbers. I used the S-04 this time as more of a trial since I had never used it before.

Overall, I was just pleased to see that it attennuated that well even as low as 61 deg.

Latest posts

Back