rye whiskey suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
Had my first rye whiskey last night, dickel Tennessee rye (green label one) and I really liked it.

Ive always liked scotch and whiskey, but I think I like rye better.

As ive never delved into the rye area, what are some suggestions that I could go for? I dont want to break the bank yet, but something good and not too expensive would be ideal.

Thanks!

I don't know too much about high end rye, which is probably a good thing. But I know there are some very good, very expensive whiskeys out there.

I really like the Bulleit, especially for the price. It's made with 95% rye! It's got a gigantic amount of rye character, which I tend to think of as a quick initial sweetness followed by a back-of-the-throat dry spiciness. It's a damn good whiskey for making a manhattan with.

Bulleit-Rye.jpg

Bulleit rye is my favourite. But there's also a few local ones produced around my area. like Dad's Hat and Rittenhouse Rye.

If you can find a variety in your liquor store, definitely try a new one, they never seem to be bad.

Templeton Rye

I don't drink much rye or burboun these days, but Templeton is such a treat when I do drink it.

I think I can get rittenhouse here. Im going to check tonight.

Ill probably get bulleit, it seems to be very popular. And ive heard of it before. If there are any other suggestions im all ears!

The only one I've tried was Old Overholt, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Whiskey bottles usually are around for a long time in my house because I usually just drink beer and squirrel away Scotch, but this was so good it went quick.

Also, I remember it being reasonably priced .

I jsut had the WhistlePig at a place on saturday night. By tuesday, I had acquired my own personal bottle. That stuff is damn good.

Drinking Rye by itself (with one large cube) I prefer Angel's Envy Rye and High West Double Rye. For a rye old-fashioned I will go with Whistlepig or the go-to Bulleitt rye.

When I delve into rye, I'm a huge fan of the Michter's Rye Whiskey listed in that link. Though lately their bourbon has been my go to whiskey.

Back