Rye IPA Yeast question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connor85

Reaction score
I've decided to brew up a batch of Rye IPA, but I have a slight problem. I was set to use a jar of yeast that I pulled from a batch at the local pub, but my hops arent going to be delivered until next Tuesday (they were scheduled for today, but there was an error with the shipper). I'm not going to use this yeast after it sits for 4 days.

I currently have some US-05 and a pack of nottingham dry yeast on hand. Are either of these considered to be acceptable for use in a Rye IPA? I'd like to keep it close to the original (I could order the proper yeast) but if either of these would work, I won't have to put off brewing to wait for yeast.

Thanks!!

How much did you get from the local brewpub? What is the yeast type. I would think it would be OK for a few days as long as it is cooled.

I was able to pull a 1 pint jar of slurry. The fermentor temp was turned down to 35 when it was pulled, and the jar was well sanitized. The main problem I have with it is that the yeast overflowed the jar, then was capped. I fear that the contamination risk may be higher than normal.

I should mention that I actually work at the pub (assistant), and got to pull this yeast myself. The next chance I have to brew this batch wont be till next Wednesday, and we wont have any more yeast that will be ready to pull by then. We only pull yeast when the beer temp is turned down before tranferring to a server.

I'm not positive about the specific strain, but it is a very clean fermenting ale yeast.

Thanks for the help!!

Back