Rusty beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Bear

Reaction score
So tonight I called my brew partner over to bottle our American amber ale that we brewed 3 weeks. ago. We made the priming solution and racked the beer and sanitized and cleaned all of the bottles...but when I went to grab the caps..(which were the leftover from a previous batch) they were covered in rust..I sanitized all of them last tine and took what I didn't use and shoved emm in a plastic bag..we had to use them cause everything was already ready..my question is: am I okay? Or should I go to the brew store tomorrow and get new ones? I'm afraid if I recap ill lose carbonation.. Thanks!!!

Gotta let those caps dry before you put them back in the bag man...

Honestly don't know how to advise you to proceed... A long as you recap ASAP you shouldn't lose too much carbonation, but on the other hand, you *might* be ok as they are, granted that is a bigger risk than I would be willing to take...

the caps have rubber underneath so the rust probably wont have any contact with the beer

rice said:
the caps have rubber underneath so the rust probably wont have any contact with the beer

Read elsewhere about the plastic underneath the caps, but the rust made its way onto the plastic part as well..should have mentioned this; we boiled the caps before we put them on to kill anything but now I'm wondering if that could have made em worse. Crap

A little rust never hurt anyone. Cap up and forget about it. Your beer will be just fine. I found an old brewers best kit in my dad's attic for and irish red from back in the mid 90s. The caps were a little rusted up and I used about 4 or 5 of them in a pinch a while back. No adverse affect on carbonation or taste.

Back