Rust in my SS corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rix44

Reaction score
I unknowingly had a small screw or nut fall down into a corny keg that i was using to store star san. after a few weeks i emptied the star san and noticed the nut had rusted and left a bit of rust on the bottom of my corny. i soaked it in oxy clean for a while. my arms are too big to get in to the bottom but i had the wife scrub at it. most of it came out but there was still a small nut "imprint" and a few spots. i 'm sure this wont be the first case of a bit of rust coming into contact with some beer but i was just wondering if anyone knew if this could cause a problem? after i drink the nut brown i just kegged i'll have the wife take another crack at scrubbing it outta there. any suggestions on cleaning it?

Thanks in advance for the help.:mug:

Since he already stated that his arms won't reach through the opening...

Try a keg cleaner. It locks into your drill chuck, and lets you clean the entire insides without sticking your arm in there. I'm sure if you mixed up a slurry of BKF and poured that in first, you'd get the best of both worlds. Of course PBW could also take care if it without any issue (IMO, better than oxyclean/oxyfree)...

Personally, I simply put some StarSan solution into the kegs once cleaned, so that I can run it through the liquid out post prior to filling (I fill via that same post now). I also don't have any loose nuts anywhere near the kegs while working on them (don't want my nuts dropped into StarSan :eek:)...

Since it is stainless steel, you should be able to remove the rust, it's all a matter of what steps you'll need to take to get there.

CLR and have the wife attempt at scrubbing it. I'd soak in Oxy after the CLR and run StarSan after.

Then, go get your SWMBO some flowers.

Very tiny shorts for the wife to wear while she bends over and scrubs. Make sure you're there for moral support - go honey, scrub honey......

On the serious side - what are you scrubbing with? If you're just using a kitchen sponge with a scruby on the back forget it. Get a green pad and some BKF and it'll be gone in a flash.

Thanx so much for the responses. i will get some barkeepers friend and the tiny shorts for the wife to try after i polish off the nut brown. i'm sure she will be thrilled. i'll be sure to enlist her help in polishing off my nut...brown as well.

If she won't do it then drop the sponge in there with the bar keepers friend and use a broom stick to move it around.

It shouldn't take much scrubbing at all with the BKF if the rust is as you describe.

And whatever you do don't use steel wool.

You can use a toilet scrubbing brush as well. Obviously buy a new one or your nut brown will have a double double entendre

I'm still giggling over the "small nut imprint" thinking don't "rust a nut" in your kegs or wifey will have to clean it up... has she tried Kleenex? Usually works for me when the kegs end up all messy.

Back