Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wfu1bunn

Reaction score
Recently brewed a Russian Imperial Stout which was supposed to have a starting gravity of around 1103, but read 1050 initially. Final gravity was supposed to be 1022-1024 but read only 1040!!

Question is, what could have gone wrong?

Please give us a little more information:
- What was your recipe? Mash temp (if all grain)?
- Which yeast did you use? How much? Starter size?
- How long and at what temp are you fermenting?

Basically, we'll need the whole story to help diagnose the problem.

:mug:

Recipe was from clone beer recipe book. It was partial grain recipe.

Used Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast and started it a couple days before brew day. Had major blowoff for a day. Added Danstar Cask and Bottle conditioning yeast after 7 days in primary fermenter.

Pretty sure fermentation was at the higher range, or 72 degrees or maybe a little higher.

Recipe was from clone beer recipe book. It was partial grain recipe.

Used Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast and started it a couple days before brew day. Had major blowoff for a day. Added Danstar Cask and Bottle conditioning yeast after 7 days in primary fermenter.

Pretty sure fermentation was at the higher range, or 72 degrees or maybe a little higher.

If you followed the recipe, and it was mostly extract, the probable issue is simply an error on the first hydrometer reading. It's super hard to fully mix a lot of extract in water and get an accurate reading. How many pounds of extract did you use? If you used, say, 10 pounds of dry extract the OG has to be at least 1.085. If you post the recipe, we can guestimate very closely what your OG should be- and it should be close to the recipe (except that "clone beer book", at least the one I have is pretty poor).

As to why it's 1.040 now, it could be simply done if you had some dark extract and some other less fermentable ingredients.

used 10.5 lbs of DME, 1 lb cane sugar, and 5 oz of molasses.

I appreciate all the help!

used 10.5 lbs of DME, 1 lb cane sugar, and 5 oz of molasses.

I appreciate all the help!

That alone has an OG of 1.094 or thereabouts. If you added some grain as well, you'd have a few more points.

As to why it's at 1.040, it could be underoxygenation of the wort, a too low pitching rate, etc, so it might be wise just to wait and see if it drops before taking action. How long has it been at 1.040?

Yeah, I popped back in to see if I could help, but Yooper is on the job. She's one of my HB Talk heroes - you're in good hands!

Good luck with your Imperial Stout.

Been at 1040 at least a week. checked it again tonight and still 1040

Back