Rules for weird adjuncts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevilNuts

Reaction score
So a buddy (who has never made beer before) and I were planning our next brew, and the subject came up of Blue Moon's Cinnamon Horchata beer. We were already several beers deep when this sounded like a good idea, but now that I am of sound mind I wanted to float the suggestion to the crowd:

He asked if we could just dump a whole box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch into secondary to flavor our wheat beer. At the time, I couldn't really see a reason why not.... soggy mess aside. I'm sure the sugars in this particular breakfast cereal ought to kick off a nice little secondary fermentation, and the flavors might infuse nicely.

Is this even a remotely viable option, or just altogether pants-on-the-head crazy? I've heard of folks using graham crackers before, and figured this wouldn't be too far out of that ballpark.

Thoughts?

I'd just use cinnamon (and sugar) myself. Probably cheaper, easier to keep track of dosing (in case you want to "perfect" the recipe) plus less chance of getting weird stuff like fortifying iron (from the cereal) in your brew.

I had to make a beer for an Iron Brewer competition my club was having and I got Reeses Puffs cereal as an ingredient. I added a little to the mash (really just to say I mashed with it) and added some to some vodka that I soaked it in for several days. I then added the vodka to the finished beer until I got the flavor level I wanted.

Back