rubber on a quarter barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On some of the quarter barrels the whole thing is covered in rubber. I think if I can get the rubber off it would made a nice keggel. Anyone know?

You could try lighting it on fire and let it burn off. Really I am of no use, I know, but it would be cool to watch.

Cheers

The rubber is to guard against keg theft. You don't want to make a keggle, believe me...return the keg to your local brewery.

Leave the rubber on and use it as a MLT. In fact, put more insulation around the thing to help hold in the heat. Drill a hole near the bottom and put in a false bottom. I have a pony keg as well and it's almost too small to use as a keggle. Unfortunately, it's what I have for now so I'm making due.

kvh

Brewtopia said:
The rubber is to guard against keg theft. You don't want to make a keggle, believe me...return the keg to your local brewery.
I got it from the junk yard for $15.00. The top is cracked around the fitting so I can't return it anywhere. I picked it up because I thought it could maybe make a good 7gal pot or a sanitizing container. Oh well I guess it will not be a pot.

You could possibly slice through it with a utility knife a whole bunch and then attack the thing with an angle grinder - it'd smell terrible, but you'd eventually get through.

kvh.

Whatever you do.... dont burn it.

This past year, there was a party a few towns over. The drunks took a rubber covered 1/4 barrel and tossed it into the fire to "watch it burn" at 3am. The end result was an explosion that was heard 3 miles away, and 1 innocent life lost.

Not joking... this happened in New Milford CT back in October.

http://www.wcbs880.com/pages/112234.php?contentType=4&contentId=227810

JoeRags said:
Whatever you do.... dont burn it.

This past year, there was a party a few towns over. The drunks took a rubber covered 1/4 barrel and tossed it into the fire to "watch it burn" at 3am. The end result was an explosion that was heard 3 miles away, and 1 innocent life lost.

Not joking... this happened in New Milford CT back in October.

http://www.wcbs880.com/pages/112234.php?contentType=4&contentId=227810
That is a crazy story. WOW!!!I would not have burned one without taking the valve out ( mines busted on top anyway ) but I wouldn't think that it would have made that big of an explosion. WOW!!!

Back