Rootlets in 2 row question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jppostKW

Reaction score
I have some of colorado malting companys 2 row and it has all the rootlets mixed in. Do I need to sieve these out or just mash and go with it? oh yeah and will this effect efficiency?

any chance on a picture? ANd just for clarification are they sprouted or does it look like this:
greenmalt.jpg

edit: You need to knock them off. Watch this video- its very informational and they talk about the root tips. No clue about the efficiency.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have gotten malt from Colorado Malting, and also noticed the rootlets, which I didn't think was normal. I removed them by pouring the malt back and forth between two buckets outside and let the wind blow the rootlets out. I don't think it should effect the efficiency either way.

I wonder what the % by weight is of rootlets to grain? Probably exceedingly small, but 1 lb of grain + rootlets = less grain than 1 lb of grain without rootlets.

Back