Rookie....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djtuck

Reaction score
Details:
Brewers best red ale kit
Primary fermenting in glass carboy
Room is 70 degrees

I brewed on Sunday, and followed the directions in the kit, as far as boil times, temps, when to add hops....etc.

I racked the wort into the carboy and pitched the yeast. Installed the airlock and put the carboy in a 70 degree spot. Looked the next morning and saw nothing different than I did the night before. No krausen, no bubbles in the airlock, no foam on top of the wort. I retraced my steps and reread the directions and discovered that I killed my yeast. Turns out that boiling water kills yeast....who knew? So after a few phone calls and some web research I discovered that I did not kill the batch, and I was told to pitch more yeast. So Monday evening after work, I pitched a test tube of liquid yeast and shook the whole thing up. Lo and behold the next morning I had foam and bubbles in the airlock!

Well, here comes my problem. It's now Thursday, and I have no bubbles in the airlock, no krausen, and no foam. Is this thing done with vigorous fermentation? Where is my krausen? Is this normal? Do I just sit tight for a couple weeks and bottle?

So many questions....

Brad

Back