Roeselare -- Free Rise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just brewed my first non-kettle soured sour last week, a Flanders Red. Initial pack of Roeselare apparently arrived in poor shape (3 days no apparent activity), so I repitched a fresh pack at 68°F. Now, two days later, fermentation is bubbling along happily, temperature is around 76°. Should I turn on the fridge to keep it there or just let it keep going?

In general, should Roeselare be controlled or allowed to do its thing without interference?

Thanks!

I've only ever used this blend (on its own) once, I left it with no temp control in my basement where it remains around 66°f and it turned out great. Now I will say I left it for over a year to give the bugs plenty of time to work.

wmcc75, yeah I'm planning to let it go a while. Just wasn't sure if free-rising would hurt the beer. It topped out at around 77 and has slowed down, so now it's about time for the bugs to really get to work.

You may want to add some dregs to fermenter from a bottle of your favorite Flanders Red.

I did that. Added dregs from 3 12-ounce Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour bottles. Two on the brew day, the third a week later. I've seen mixed info as to whether the MCFS is pasteurized or not. According to the Mad Fermentationist, it's not pasteurized, but I've read elsewhere that it is. I'm on the lookout for some relatively fresh Jolly Pumpkin La Roja, but my "local" JP retailers are still around an hour away, so it'll have to wait.

Latest posts

Back