RIP Carrie Fisher / Debbie Reynolds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sad.

I admit I had a crush on her as a young kid, and maybe as an older kid. Of course I loved her in Star Wars, and her character in Blues Brothers as well. I didn't see much of her other than that.

What really struck me was her way of dealing with Hollywood stuff. Generally I don't appreciate stars when they act too important, or try to play the "poor me stardom is SOOOO hard!" but for some reason she always seemed to meet her fame and troubles with a kind of humour and almost from the point of looking in from the outside, even though she was definitely on the inside.

I've been meaning to read her books for a while. Maybe I will get to it soon.

I also have to wonder if she will be in the Star Wars episode after the next one. I hear they already wrapped photography on the next one, but I'm curious to see how they handle her character. She was an important part of the first movies, but I heard the movies really evolve around the 2 droids and their experiences with the various main characters.

Maybe Leia dies in the next film? Who knows. I wasn't shocked when Han died (spoiler alert!) as Harrison Ford has said many times he thought Han Solo was a one-dimensional character and he didn't really care to play him again. Not sure how Carrie Fisher felt about playing Leia. I could totally see Leia sacrificing herself for the cause. She always was fully behind it.

The tributes from people who knew her are really touching. They all seem to say how smart, funny, kind and generous she was.

I was surprised to read in her bio that she was briefly married to Paul Simon.

She took a ton of grief for looks in the SW movie last year. I didn't really understand that. Nobody maintains their 19-yr-old looks when they are 60. Not a very nice sendoff by hollywood, but I guess that's the price of stardom.

They finished filming episode 8 so she will definitely be in it, but im not sure how they plan to deal with her on episode 9. I heard there will be a Princess Leia movie dealing with her as a teenager getting into the republic and ending up at about the time she got the death-star plans

She took a ton of grief for looks in the SW movie last year. I didn't really understand that. Nobody maintains their 19-yr-old looks when they are 60. Not a very nice sendoff by hollywood, but I guess that's the price of stardom.

That stuff pissed me off. I WANT to see realistic character portrayals. We don't have enough of them in movies and TV.

I saw a comment that said something like "you know you're awesome when Meryl Streep plays YOU in a movie."

(Postcards from the Edge.)

We went to the Star Wars costume exhibit at the Denver Art museum today, and saw her famous bikini, as well as the famous white princess dress. It was rather poignant. She will be greatly missed, a strong woman actor.

I didn't know she was married to Simon either..... I agree with you, people age and battle different demons and struggles in life and their appearances change. Everyone ages differently. Hollywood is brutal. Well that's my 2 cents.

John

:(

I never knew much about Debbie Reynolds, but You could tell she loved Carrie and supported her after she grew up and out of the Hollywood scene. I would dare say Carrie probably got a good portion of her sense of humour and the ability to see things from a different point of view from her.

I watched both women as I grew up watching films with my parents. Both will be missed. I wish them the best in the here after for the gifts they gave us. I raise a pint to them!

Back