Ringwood ale bottle conditioning/attenuation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoelMueller

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm still a beginner, and i'm currently on my 11th batch of beer (extract) - an English IPA sorta thing using a Wyeast 1187 smack pack. I have a question about attenuation and whether or not I should bottle yet. I'm at the 3 week mark right now.

- I made a well aerated yeast starter for the 1187, which I think about tripled the number of cells.. did not fully attenuate the starter wort though.
- I brewed a 1.060 wort comprised of mostly LME, with some DME and steeping grains.
- I injected 30 seconds of pure O2 into the 1.060 wort before pitching.
- I pitched at fermentation temps (66-68F).
- I held the temp of the fermentation chamber right between 66-69 for 1 week. After that 1 week, the beer had attenuated from 1.060 to 1.018. This wasn't exactly what I had hoped for, but its in line with the 70% attenuation listed on the Wyeast site for 1187.
- After that, i conducted a 'diacetyl rest/attenuation crusade' and let the fermentation temps rise up to about 72 for a week.
- I also swirled/gently agitated the yeast layer at the bottom of the bucket 3 times during this week.
- I tested the gravity again and found it relatively unchanged.. maybe 1.017 at the lowest.
- Thinking dry hopping it might agitate things, I dry hopped it for 4 days and then tested the gravity.. still 1.017ish.. not 'dry' by any stretch.
- I then basically gave up and started prepping for bottling and currently have it cold crashing/conditioning at 45-50F for the last 3 days.

So here we are at the 3 week mark, I would very much like to bottle this brew, but folklore has it that Ringwood attenuates very highly, and im a little afraid of bottle bombs. They're gonna be conditioning at 75F for an indefinite amount of time before getting tossed in the fridge. I tend to leave a 6-pack or 2 in my closet for months after brewing, can't drink like I used to.

I've never had bottle bombs before.. if by some freak occurrence, it attenuates down to 1.014 in the bottles over the course of a couple months, are they going to explode? Should I take this into consideration when calculating my priming sugar?

Thank you in advance, O wise ones, for your guidance. I'm not worthy.

-Noel

At the moment you have 71% attenuation. Wyeast advertises 68 - 72%.

So, I would say you are likely done. Stop messing with it (dry hopping won't do anything for fermentation, if that's what you were thinking) and bottle those babies!

Cheers,

I think Fraz is right. It's done. If your concern is bottle bombs, you'll likely be ok.

However, if your concern is that the beer isn't as dry as you would like, you could add some US-05 or another clean fermenting yeast.

Well, I ended up waiting a week, and bottled it one day shy of the 4 week mark (all primary) after letting the dry hops (1 oz summit, 2 oz eldorado) sit for something like 12 days. The flavor and aroma is amazing..

However I did take a hydro reading, and the gravity has inexplicably dropped to 1.014. This is what I wanted, as far as dryness goes.. but I'm just at a loss at how spending a week at low temperatures (~50) caused it to drop 4-5 points while dry hopping.. after seemingly 'stuck' at 1.019 for two weeks.

Back