Rims tube to heat pool water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My family uses a plate to plate heat exchanger for the pool and a pipe in a pipe heat exchanger for the house. But I do not see why you couldn't use a rims tube.... It sounds logical. I think you are going to have to "jump in" and try it. It may not heat fast enough. Btw my parents heat the pool from 40 to 80 degrees in 2 days.... It's nice!!!

It's perfectly efficient...the question is just whether it's powerful enough.

Figure like this:

1 kwh = 3413 BTUs, which will raise a bit more than 400 gallons of water 1 degree.

If you've got a smallish 10k gallon pool and a 5000W element, you're looking at about 5 hours to raise the pool temperature 1 degree...and that's assuming that the pool isn't cooling off at all (which of course it is).

In other words, unless you've got a nuclear-grade RIMS element or a teensy pool, it's just not enough power.

It's perfectly efficient...the question is just whether it's powerful enough.

Figure like this:

1 kwh = 3413 BTUs, which will raise a bit more than 400 gallons of water 1 degree.

If you've got a smallish 10k gallon pool and a 5000W element, you're looking at about 5 hours to raise the pool temperature 1 degree...and that's assuming that the pool isn't cooling off at all (which of course it is).

In other words, unless you've got a nuclear-grade RIMS element or a teensy pool, it's just not enough power.

:confused:

my thought was based on a electric tankless hotwater heater. it gives you constant hot water at 120 degrees.

Back