Rims tube heat percentage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikn68

Reaction score
I keep having an issue where my heating element keeps scorching a bit. Tube is from brewhardware and also element at 1550w. I open my pump fully. And I set my heat percentage to 40% on my brew commander. Others that do rims on electric. Any ideas to avoid the scorching. No scorching in tube. Maybe lower percent to 25%. I am fairly new to electric brewing.

Thanks

Erik

Is there no temperature probe??? If there isn’t, there’s very little chance of success.

The valve setting and pump capability don’t matter. It’s the flow capacity of the mash bed that matters. Assigning a power percentage isn’t likely to match what the resulting element temperature will be. A temperature probe is necessary.

The controller needs to be set to the desired mash temperature and no higher.

Set the cycle time to 1 second (or whatever the lowest number possible is) in the advanced menu. I know the default is 6 and that's too long for RIMS.

Probe location should be in the RIMS tube near the wort exit. Be sure you don't have an air bubble in the tube where the probe is.

Back