RIMS Tube orientation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UdonPete

Reaction score
I am new to the RIMS Tube and when looking at YouTube videos with them in use some use in the vertical position and a few horizontally.

Can I ask which you use – and is one way better than the other?

With a RIMS tube, it is critical that the orientation is such that no air bubbles can possibly be trapped in the tube, that might expose the heating element. It is easier to make sure this condition is met if the tube is mounted vertically, or at least an angle, with the wort exit at the high point.

Brew on :mug:

With a RIMS tube, it is critical that the orientation is such that no air bubbles can possibly be trapped in the tube, that might expose the heating element. It is easier to make sure this condition is met if the tube is mounted vertically, or at least an angle, with the wort exit at the high point.

Brew on :mug:
Understand - thank you

You also want to make sure the temp probe is submerged and in the main flow of wort.

I mounted my RIMS tube to an oarlock so I rotate it and get rid of all air. Once all air is out I orient it vertical as Doug recommended.

You also want to make sure the temp probe is submerged and in the main flow of wort.

I mounted my RIMS tube to an oarlock so I rotate it and get rid of all air. Once all air is out I orient it vertical as Doug recommended.
mounted my RIMS tube to an oarlock

Now there's an idea - cheers

I've run my tube at a slight incline for years, with the element base at the low end and the temperature probe at the high end. Vertical is fine too, but I have my tube under my bench and there isn't enough room to run it in that orientation. I'd say its at about 5 degrees from horizontal. So its nearly flat, but with an incline to help get the air out.

Back