RIMS tube for 1BBL sized step mashing (or other ideas)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcaudill

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently moved from sea level to 7000ish feet and instead of dealing with mild winters and hot summers I'm dealing with cold and fairly long winters and milder summers. The setup I've been using was all propane based - I have a 30 gallon HLT, 45 gallon MT and BK. I have the MT and HLT automated via low pressure controllers and the BK just used a high pressure cast iron burner. This worked great. But now I'd like to move the setup into my garage which is a conditioned environment during the cold months (via a ceiling mounted heater.) The challenge this poses is obviously I don't want to use propane in a closed space like that and I don't want to bring in cold air either (because cold air - is COLD.) I can't go entirely Natural Gas because my drop isn't going to be able to supply enough BTU's for multiple burners running simultaneously.

So my thought has been to add a RIMS tube externally to the MT and HLT and then just go NG on the BK. My question is: for batches that might be 30 or 40lbs of grain and sized for say 25-30 gallons net will a RIMS tube really be able to step mash and get up to mash out temps? What I don't want to do is waste time and money on this and it not work. If I need to add elements directly in the kettles it's not ideal but I'd rather just do that first.

Or any other ideas are completely welcome!

Thanks.

The challenge this poses is obviously I don't want to use propane in a closed space like that and I don't want to bring in cold air either (because cold air - is COLD.) I can't go entirely Natural Gas because my drop isn't going to be able to supply enough BTU's for multiple burners running simultaneously.
Unless you plan on using bottled oxygen to supply the NG burner you will have to provide adequate aeration if you don't want to die of carbon monoxide poisoning. Although NG does obviate the addittional danger of having propane tanks in the room with you combustion of natural gas will still require the right amount of oxygen or you'll start making carbon monoxide and shortly thereafter peacefully depart this world...

The only way to keep your brewing room airtight (and live long enough to enjoy the fruits of your labor) would be to go all electric and then use some sort of steam condenser on the BK. Unless your're really, really hardcore into steam saunas that is... ;)

Unless you plan on using bottled oxygen to supply the NG burner you will have to provide adequate aeration if you don't want to die of carbon monoxide poisoning. Although NG does obviate the addittional danger of having propane tanks in the room with you combustion of natural gas will still require the right amount of oxygen or you'll start making carbon monoxide and shortly thereafter peacefully depart this world...

The only way to keep your brewing room airtight (and live long enough to enjoy the fruits of your labor) would be to go all electric and then use some sort of steam condenser on the BK. Unless your're really, really hardcore into steam saunas that is... ;)

Haha... I do plan on using a steam condenser! That much I have figured out.

I figured as far as oxygen instead of popping open the garage door I'd pop open the house door instead and as far as I'm concerned it can pull as much oxygen from there as it wants. Also the house is constantly being supplied with fresh air via circulator. In theory, this should work. I think about a stove in the house, albeit not as many BTU's as I'm talking. Then pop a couple CO sensors in the garage and I'd think it should be ok?

Latest posts

Back